Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clank-Bang-Griiiiiiind

Well, my d/r 4speed is dead. No first gear, won't come out of fourth below 2500rpm, unless the engine is off and the car stopped. I knew this was coming, what with the massive synchro problems I've been having, but I was hoping to hit 200k before the overhaul. Time for the d/r 5speed.

Now my only sticking point is if I should do just the transmission, but I'd hate to put the same crappy leaky exhaust back up just to replace it in a couple months. Of course, while it's down, I might as well install the new swingarm assembly to fix the broken torsion bars, but since those are already re-indexed for 2" lift, I might as well go ahead and do the lift too. But what good is a lift without the t-case mod? I need the t-case in there to route the exhaust around it, and since I think the driveshaft will be different for the 5speed, I might as well only spend the money once, and have the shaft made for the t-case.

At the same time, I can't do the lift and tires and wheels and leave it in the crappy weathered silver, so I might as well paint it at the same time. Of course, what good is all this without nice bumpers, maybe a roof rack or roof mounted spare..................

So, the car is getting it's rebuild earlier than expected. Pics will follow once I get into the real part of it.

:lol:

well I wouldnt say I have the SAME problem... as far as looking for excuses to get started on all these mods(mostly cause I dont have any $$$). but yeah my 4spd is gonna end up like yours someday, it keeps popping out of 1st real bad and I cant shift out of 4th all the time...

Oh yeah- If anybody out there has a clutch release problem on a pre-83 EA81, swap the pedal assembly out. I got one from the dealership, it was $75 for the steel box by itself, and I have to put the pedals on it still, but it is money well spent. The pre-83 pedal support assembly is very weak, and that, combined with the previous owner, is what killed the tranny in this car due to the clutch not releasing.