Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Clank-Bang-Griiiiiiind

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder

Just a guy

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • Rexburg, ID

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:26 AM

Well, my d/r 4speed is dead. No first gear, won't come out of fourth below 2500rpm, unless the engine is off and the car stopped. I knew this was coming, what with the massive synchro problems I've been having, but I was hoping to hit 200k before the overhaul. Time for the d/r 5speed.
Now my only sticking point is if I should do just the transmission, but I'd hate to put the same crappy leaky exhaust back up just to replace it in a couple months. Of course, while it's down, I might as well install the new swingarm assembly to fix the broken torsion bars, but since those are already re-indexed for 2" lift, I might as well go ahead and do the lift too. But what good is a lift without the t-case mod? I need the t-case in there to route the exhaust around it, and since I think the driveshaft will be different for the 5speed, I might as well only spend the money once, and have the shaft made for the t-case.
At the same time, I can't do the lift and tires and wheels and leave it in the crappy weathered silver, so I might as well paint it at the same time. Of course, what good is all this without nice bumpers, maybe a roof rack or roof mounted spare..................
So, the car is getting it's rebuild earlier than expected. Pics will follow once I get into the real part of it.

#2 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:18 AM

#3 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:21 AM

:lol:

well I wouldnt say I have the SAME problem... as far as looking for excuses to get started on all these mods(mostly cause I dont have any $$$). but yeah my 4spd is gonna end up like yours someday, it keeps popping out of 1st real bad and I cant shift out of 4th all the time...

#4 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder

Just a guy

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • Rexburg, ID

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

Oh yeah- If anybody out there has a clutch release problem on a pre-83 EA81, swap the pedal assembly out. I got one from the dealership, it was $75 for the steel box by itself, and I have to put the pedals on it still, but it is money well spent. The pre-83 pedal support assembly is very weak, and that, combined with the previous owner, is what killed the tranny in this car due to the clutch not releasing.

#5 86ruguy

86ruguy

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • tacoma

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:22 PM

hey, good luck with your mods.:)

i've got my EJ swap running and screamin down the road.:banana:

did 105-110 on the freeway the other day:headbang:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users