Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, which one is the thermoswitch (EJ22)

Ok, so I'm working on an EJ22 swap in my Loyale. The EJ22 came out of a 93 legacy, 5 speed, awd. The problem is that the repair manual is no help when it comes to identifying which switch is the stock thermoswitch, so I was wondering if anyone could help me identify, so I can pull it out and install the one for my aftermarket electric fan.

The choices:

1. One wire male spade connector pointing up (towards the hood) directly above the crank, on the very front of the motor.

2. 2 wire plug on the coolant distribution thingy that bolts to the top of the engine (that the upper radiator hose plugs into). It's the larger of the two.

3. Right next to choice number 2, there is a much smaller one, with only one wire and a male spade connection.

Can anyone help me identify these? My best guesses:

1. coolant temp sender (temp gauge)

2. fan #1 coolant thermoswitch OR coolant level light?

3. fan #2 coolant thermoswitch OR coolant level light?

Please don't guess - I guessed. I need to know for sure. I don't want to do it twice, especially if I tap the threads. Thanks for the help guys.

1. One wire male spade connector pointing up (towards the hood) directly above the crank, on the very front of the motor.

This has nothing to do with coolant, that's your crank angle sensor.

2. 2 wire plug on the coolant distribution thingy that bolts to the top of the engine (that the upper radiator hose plugs into). It's the larger of the two.

This is the coolant temp sensor that your ECU uses to do things like adjust the A/F ratio, idle, and turn your fan on. I believe this is the one you're looking for.

3. Right next to choice number 2, there is a much smaller one, with only one wire and a male spade connection.

This is a coolant temp sensor also, but only for the gauge in your dash.

#1 is definately NOT my crank angle sensor, I know which one is my crank sensor. It is definately some kind of coolant sensor.

So, can I even just "plug in" this new thermoswitch in place of the stock one? It seems everyone says the stock one does more than just turn on the fan, so would it be better if I just tapped a hole somewhere and used that?

You say #1 is directly above the crank. If it sits on the oil pump body, it's the crank position sensor. If it's above that and threaded into the block under alternator, then it's oil pressure switch for the warning light.

You say #1 is directly above the crank. If it sits on the oil pump body, it's the crank position sensor. If it's above that and threaded into the block under alternator, then it's oil pressure switch for the warning light.

Ahh yes, I didn't think about the oil pressure switch.

Regardless, there is no coolant sensor anywhere near the front of the engine.

Are you saying you want to override the stock sensor's control of the electric fan so you can wire up your own sensor to control your aftermarket fan independently? You can do it, but you might have to wire in a resistor or something into your ECU to make it think that it's doing something with that fan signal, or you'll likely throw a CEL.