Ultimate Subaru Message Board

40 Miles per gallon with ol Gl wagon

I swear one of these days when I have an expendable car (it's bound to occur at some point - jeez I get subaru's like crazy), I know it's going to happen. The right time - the right day - maybe I'm not terribly interested in showup up for work on time or whatever. Someone is going to eat a subaru. I'm just going to lock em up with them riding 8 feet off my bumper and let the car go to the crusher. I'm an upstanding citizen, member of the national guard, and I've NEVER had an accident. I'll tell all about the puppies that were in the road in front of me..... oh it will be an awesome day fo-sho. And being an expendable car I'll ask for an unreasonable amount from the insurance, claim injuries - oh joyus day indeed! If I only cure one idiot of tailgating, then I will have contributed a little. I'll try to make sure it's one of those $50k SUV's. My little Subaru will total it. hehehehe.

Oh yeah - and I won't lock em up till I see them turn their head to the side to make sure their reaction time is less.

GD

ok wow I have never actually"lol" from one of these posts but this one did the trick!!!:lol: good plan:)

I'll tell all about the puppies that were in the road in front of me.....

The great thing is that you do not need an excuse. None. It doesn't matter.

You get rear ended, it's their fault. No matter what.

A C D A !

...unless someone has different laws...

I swear one of these days when I have an expendable car (it's bound to occur at some point - jeez I get subaru's like crazy), I know it's going to happen. The right time - the right day - maybe I'm not terribly interested in showup up for work on time or whatever. Someone is going to eat a subaru. I'm just going to lock em up with them riding 8 feet off my bumper and let the car go to the crusher. I'm an upstanding citizen, member of the national guard, and I've NEVER had an accident. I'll tell all about the puppies that were in the road in front of me..... oh it will be an awesome day fo-sho. And being an expendable car I'll ask for an unreasonable amount from the insurance, claim injuries - oh joyus day indeed! If I only cure one idiot of tailgating, then I will have contributed a little. I'll try to make sure it's one of those $50k SUV's. My little Subaru will total it. hehehehe.

Oh yeah - and I won't lock em up till I see them turn their head to the side to make sure their reaction time is less.

GD

I had the chance to do this and should have taken it. In Nevada, a Nevada driver driving a Nissan was so close behind me I couldn't see his hood. That's right, his HOOD. I'm guessing the distance was 2-3 inches. I could have let off the gas at 75 and would have got bumped. He finially passed me and the 3 or 4 cars in front of me in a no lane change turn.

i`m all for brake checks on tailgaters:grin: just be sure, if you ever were to do this, make sure its going to trash both cars, otherwise its just not worth it. i have noticed most the people that ride to close in my area are women with children:-\

don`t let road rage own you;)

GD

Listen, I don`t want to get you reared up, but I had a similar incident like your wishing for and I was the following car. This idiot would speed up and slow down on purpose to restrict the flow of traffic. He was forcing people to accelerate erratically and make dangerous maneuvers to get around him. When it was my turn to try and get around him, I simply flashed my brights on and off to signal that I was going to attempt to pass. He proceeded in giving me the brakelight treatment causing me to brake hard and creating a dangerous situation with those behind. I got in one of those rare fits of RAGE and tried to pass again. Same thing, he brake lighted me and this time I became the aggressor and busted him. This really shocked the guy and he actually sped up. Then it happened again and I repeated my response. The guy decided that he was going to up the ante by swerving and braking and I pitted him off the side of the road and went on. I was doing the speed limit + 5 and some of the people that were stuck behind that passed me congradulated me. I kept waiting for the sheriffs to show up at work but they never did....Make sure you get their plate before you play bumper tag or you might run into someone that is very familiar with the pit maneuver. :grin:

Heh... before I stumbled across my '84 GL hatch I was thinking of doing that to my fickle RX-7. Teach some trophy wife a lesson about following distances and simultaneously convert car to cash.

Now I'm about to have my sexy rotary beast :burnout: up and running again -- but I think I'm holding onto this Subaru! Except for the apparent absence of 3rd and 4th gear synchros (is this a common problem for EA81s?) and the bad case of auto herpes (damn Chicago salt), I'm really impressed with this car. Compared with any other Japanese car from the '80s, this thing is (a) ridiculously easy to work on and (B) much better at absorbing bumps, at least after I deflated the tires from the crazy 47-48 psi they were at when I got it.

And that's another question for this mileage thread. I noticed much better cornering ability after I lowered all four tires to ~32 psi, but the door sill sticker actually recommends 26. Are there advantages (on- or off-road) to running 26 psi? Would there be a significant hit to gas mileage?

Listen, I don`t want to get you reared up, but I had a similar incident like your wishing for and I was the following car. This idiot would speed up and slow down on purpose to restrict the flow of traffic. He was forcing people to accelerate erratically and make dangerous maneuvers to get around him. When it was my turn to try and get around him, I simply flashed my brights on and off to signal that I was going to attempt to pass. He proceeded in giving me the brakelight treatment causing me to brake hard and creating a dangerous situation with those behind. I got in one of those rare fits of RAGE and tried to pass again. Same thing, he brake lighted me and this time I became the aggressor and busted him. This really shocked the guy and he actually sped up. Then it happened again and I repeated my response. The guy decided that he was going to up the ante by swerving and braking and I pitted him off the side of the road and went on. I was doing the speed limit + 5 and some of the people that were stuck behind that passed me congradulated me. I kept waiting for the sheriffs to show up at work but they never did....Make sure you get their plate before you play bumper tag or you might run into someone that is very familiar with the pit maneuver. :grin:

I've been tempted many many times to hit the brakes on a tailgaiter. But it is really a losing proposition. With my luck I would break my neck or back. Plus if you give into someone elses Road Rage, they in effect own you.

What is better is to put your tail lights on or off a couple times without slowing down. Maybe they will get the idea and back off or pass. Or slow down gradually. I have tried several methods and they usually work.

You never know who is carrying a gun these days so don't pull over.

I used to carry a baseball bat in the car if I ever needed it but this just made me more aggressive......maybe I was hoping I could use it!!

I am a professional driver so I see this stuff all the time. I wish I could run someone off the road or blow them away sometimes but I just imagine it for fun.

I had a Road Rage incident in my personal car about 7 years ago and it cost me about $25,000. I ran a car off the road with 3 people in it. I had lawyer fees, fines, had to pay off the people, and had to go to Anger Management classes.

The judge also wanted to take my license away for 6 months and that would have cost me about $40,000 in lost wages.

I would of lost my house and everything else.

It's not worth it. Just let them pass or get out of the way. I know it's not any fun but it's not anything to ruin your life over.

Oh, BTW, I have been experimenting with my 99 Outback. If I go 65 I get 30 mpg. If I go 60, I still get 30 mpg.

And the last tank, I went 55 mph and i got 30 mpg!!!!!

Go figure.

Road Dog ( Former road rage dog )

My car has "beat me up" written all over it so to speak. I don't understand it. My wagon didn't ask for this. The poor droopy pants sedan must be lacking an aggressive appearance... Yet a car like my old 74 chevelle sedan (which really weighed 3250 lbs -- unlike a suby-- what a beast!) was moving things out of the way long before I got there. I never told anyone it started off with a 100hp 250c.i. 6 cyl with a top speed slower than a 400k mile ea82 wagon. There was so much room under the hood, I could stand inside the engine compartment, next to the engine while my tools sat on the inner fender well as I worked on it, I could lay down on the hood with my head on the windshield, and my feet had a foot to go before the end of it (I am 3 inches shy of 6 ft tall). But anyway, that car is gone like thier production.I have had road rage incidents already due to "this gang up on me" mentality I don't ask for. I even got pulled over for speeding, and knew damn well I wasn't. What does my sagging sedan need to stop it:

A fake plastic blower glued to the hood

maybe a hood scoop...

four 1 million blinking candlewatt lights on the roof rack

Oh, I know, some texan bull horns on the grill like a pimpin rancher in his big 'ol caddy...

perhaps a lift kit and mud tires for my 2wd..

a train horn...

a fake roof camper like a vanagon...

some cop lights...

fender wideners, while keeping my little stock wheels...

a 3 foot protruding front bumper with an oversized license plate...

hmmmm... there has got to be somethin to make this little car look bigger.:-\

Yeah - I understand what you mean. Some people are just stupid. Personally I drive near the speed limit, and occasionally I get some asshat that thinks it's real fun to tailgate me for miles on a two lane road. Often I just keep slowing down till they get the idea, but someone is going to push me too far one day....

Case in point - on my way home from WA one time - I driving my lifted wagon, and a friend and his wife behind me - he in an RX, and she driving my Brat. I was doing about 65 in the fast lane - it was dark, and I had friends following me. I notice someone close on my tail, so I immediately get over to the center lane (it's late, dark, and I'm in a caravan - the last thing on my mind is messing with other motorists). He gets over as well - and continues to tailgate me. He gets closer and closer till his headlights dissapear from my rear-view. I can't get over another lane because there was a city bus there. That, and the fast lane was COMPLETELY clear. I'm pretty annoyed as there isn't really anything I can do here. So to signal him that I was not intending to speed up, I touched my brake pedal enough to turn the lights on, but not slow me down (28" tires - the brakes don't even work all that well :rolleyes:). Everything sort of became a blur at that point - he whipped into the fast lane, shot in front of me (nearly), and then back into my lane - only he hadn't calculated it quite right, and the left rear quarter panel of his Ford Focus hatchback smashed into my front bumper/brushguard. I pretty much lost my sh!z at that point, and threw it into third and rammed him - left a huge knarly dent in the rear hatch of his Focus. For his part he did nothing - probably paralized with fear by now. I came up next to him in the fast lane and glared over as it to ask "where are we taking this?" but he would not return my stare. I left - never to hear about it again.

Moral of the story - don't mess with folks in lifted subaru's - we are a strange bunch - slightly imbalanced already.

Only thing I can figure is he was either trying to draft me like a semi, he was totally high on something, or off-chance I picked up a rock and chipped his windsheild or something with my agressive tires and lack of mudflaps.... :confused:

GD

Moral of the story - don't mess with folks in lifted subaru's - we are a strange bunch - slightly imbalanced already.

Doesn't even need to be said out loud. I recently got climbed up on by a tractor trailer on I-95. My finally functioning speedo said 85 mph.

The truck must have been doing 100 on his dim round headlights climbing right up on me.

I sped up to get away and see the blues flashing in the rear view mirror. I slowed way down to 70 and the cop car flew by both of us, all the while the truck was right on my ***. I immediately sped up again to 85 and finally lost him in the hills.... My only regret with my little soob is situations like that. The 40mpg is an ovverruling maturity regardless of maniac truckers and whatever else wants to be intimidating.

Tornado air cleaner thingee will at the verry least cost you a couple of MPG and at worst fragment getting sucked into and destroying your engine. Any restriction in the intake will lower milage thats why the K&N filters improve it Less restriction. Save your money its pure "Snake oil"

The air filter in my loyale is quite old and paper like. The K&N filter with gunk all over it is ridiculous. Twice I have seen it on an EA82, and around here, it decides to squeeze something replusive off and the engine, MAF don't like it at all...One chemical attracts another, to shed yet another. I stay neutral, dry , clean simple inert filter and call that good. I am assuming it is yet another product where everything is dry and dusty to be deemed a successful place worthy of it.I am well over 30mpg local on normal cheap filter(it is quite old too)...and never falling for the goopy mystery fly catcher chemical again.

...Well...

Back to the Roots of This, I just wanna tell as "INFO" to contribute to the Gas Economy, That when my white subie wagon was using the Hitachi Crap. (Carb) I Disconnected and closed the vacuum line that activates it`s secondary stage... And I got around 50 MPG on it... You Know... but that leads your subie to be a more "Grandmother Drivin` Car" (I Mean, the Engine feels Anemic, so the Car is Slowest, but Very Economic to Drive) ... But is Driveable...

Don`t you wanna Try? it`s Simple...

Good Luck! :)