Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Wheeler

TheSubaruJunkie

Well, there's no point in resurrecting my Wagon :( The last time its really been wheeled was almost a year ago, when i managed to brush a tree and ruin my passenger side door. No worries really, but a year before that I struck a chunk of granite with the lower control arm. Front passenger side and it managed to tweak the arm really good. I replaced it with a new arm, but the swaybar and underbody mount were also bent, so the new arm is wedged in there real good. Makes for some very interesting pull to the right side, and turning left is a real chore.

For the past few months, Jibs has been nice enough to store my lifted wagon at his property. I had moved to a new place, and the new house doesnt have room to store a beatup, broken down subaru. I did manage to get it out on a wheelin trip a few months ago with Jibs and his lifted brat. I believe that was the run that blew my headgasket :(

Sooooo.... Thanks to my tax return this year I was able to pickup another EA81 to replace the wagon. Camping season is here, and i need to get out and do some fishing and get back into wheelin again! So thanks to uncle sam, and craigslist I went and picked this little gem up yesterday :clap:

DSC00756.sized.jpg

148k on the ticker and the thing runs like a clock. A couple small dings here and very little rust (although it does have some rot, nowhere important). So, here in a couple weeks I should be making a visit to Jibs, where we will start to dismantle my old wagon. I will be transfering the lift, bumper and rear brakes to the hatch. Also, last weeks yard run netted an LSD which will end up in the new hatch as well.

Ive almost lost count, but i believe this makes #14. Only EA81 type left to buy would be a sedan and 2dr coupe. Next to my wagon (when it was new), this has to be the smoothest runnin EA81 ive owned. Im not 100% sure, but the butt-dyno even tells me it out accelerates and pulls harder than my RX :confused: Guess that means I better do some more work on the RX tomorrow (new turbo sitting on the bench, different story).

Anyhow, if you wanna see more pictures I will be putting them all in this album http://gallery.usmb.net/hatch I'll be updating that album whenever i get new pix so check back soon!

-Brian

$1250 :-\ 2nd most expensive Subaru I've bought, and its gonna tear me up when I go out and beat it up on the trails. But ive been searching for years for one... and one in this good of shape is worth it i guess.

Russ, will definatly be makin the trip to WCSS8. Me and Jibs will be leaving for the show extra early to put in some more wheeling time on the way :)

-Brian

Went and picked it up yesterday.

DSC00756.sized.jpg

This weekend I will be extracting my lift from my old Wagon, and putting it on the hatch :) I'll have to find a way to scrape together some money for new tires... but Im hoping my coopers still have alittle life in them. We'll soon see :)

More pix are here http://gallery.usmb.net/hatch

Should be fun to see this hatch develop. And will be even more fun wheelin it!

-Brian

sweet hatch!! '84? a hatch is on my "aquire next" list i keep stored in my head where the woman won't find it! actually she likes old subies too so it's never been really hard to talk her into getting another one. i think i'll keep her for awhile longer, LOL!!