Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cold miss? fuel smell?

I actually have a few general questions, I didn't get much from searching, so I thought I'd just ask, hopefully they aren't recently answered.

The wagon "misses" under "hard" acceleration when cold. (I don't race cold engines, but I sometimes have to give it a little extra gas in certain cases) I read about the accel. pump possibly being bad in that instance, but I'm not too comfortable with the carb yet, so I was just trying to see if there are any other ideas.

I did take the air cleaner tub off, and noticed a fuel smell. Not too heavy, but still quite noticeable. Is this normal? I got out the extra carb I got with the car, but could really get much out of looking at it.

The car also has trouble going into reverse once it's warmed up. The RPM's at idle are strange, and will be a bit high unless I put it in gear, and let off the clutch slightly. I don't figure this is normal, but it's something I've never seen before. I just can't decide if it's because I'm carburetor-ly challenged, or another problem.

Also, when I bought it, Mr. Diaz told me the clutch needed an adjustment. The clutch does seem to be finicky, as it has trouble going into gear on occassion, as if I'm just trying to jam it into gear w/o using the clutch (a grinding noise).

I hope I haven't been too vague, I can give as much detail as I know if more is necessary. I'm planning to change plugs, wires, air filter all here this weekend. I just am sort of out of it after a longgggg week with little sleep. Any help is greatly appreciated everybody, I just don't want to break my new toy, I want to go play around in some dirt/mud, but I want to make sure it's running properly so I don't damage anything while I play. :-\

The high idle may be a sticking choke. Check to see if it opens all the way when the engine is warm. If not, it may need adjustment or the choke heater isn't working. I'm not sure if your car has an electric choke or not, but it probably does. Check for power and ground with the engine running. This may be causing your spark plugs to foul, resulting in misfire. Adjust your clutch linkage right away before you damage your transmission. It's a simple job. Take out the spare tire and the clutch lever is right underneath. Loosen the jam nut and take the tighten slack out of the cable. There needs to be some free play - 1" of pedal travel should do it. If the clutch won't fully disengage after adjusting it and there are no floor mats in the way of full travel, it's time for a new clutch.

Also, if I depress the clutch and take the car out of gear, the RPM's don't drop. I have to put it back into gear, and slightly let off the clutch to get the RPM's to drop.

It's definitely a strange little hiccup.

In other news, the spark plugs wires weren't completely on the spark plugs on the passenger side :rolleyes: I did get them all the way on.

There appears to be a connection missing, as I have a place where there's a hose that comes out of the firewall and doesn't go anywhere. After it comes out of the firewall, it has hose, then an elbow, then some hose, and then just stops.

There's also a vacuum hose (I assume) missing, as there's a connection for one, but no hose on it.

In this picture is the elbowed-hose that just ends.

vacuumhoses002.jpg

Here is the connector missing the hose...

vacuumhoses001.jpg

Your clutch cable may be stretched and in need of replacement, or you have too much travel due to a worn out clutch.

I couldn't see the vacuum hose coming out of the firewall you were talking about. The transmission does have a vent hose that has a U-bend at the top and doesn't connect to anything. The tee in the pic looks like it was added on at some point, maybe for a vacuum gauge. Cap it for now, until you can find what it should connect to.