Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats A Pitching Stopper And How Do You Adjust It

The pitching stopper is a rod that mounts at the rear of the engine on one end and just under the spare tire holder on the other end. There's a bushing on either end that could be worn, and it should be easy to check visually. If yours is bad, you should be able to pick one up dirt cheap from a junkyard.

North Ursalia is right, the pitching stopper isn't really adjustable. There's a little bit of play where it connects to the bracket on the rear of the engine, but that probably won't do you any good.

Aren't EA81 type adjustable?

The picture posted I beleive is an ea82, mine is adjustable. I know it is because if it is to tight forget trying to start the engine because it bind's the flywheel and the starter. If you get one from a yard make sure you remember which way the washers and rubber pieces go so you can put it back together correctly...

ea81s and ea82s are different types.

to adjust the ea82 style you have to bend it to shorten it, and thats all you get.

on the ea81 its on a long screw, and mine is double nuted, and is adjustable about 2inches.

i think you pretty much center it on ea81s, what car are you asking about?

Get an EA81 pitch stopper. They are adjustable!

Just put the mount in the Subuggy.

How much play should be in the pitch stopper?

I know nothing!:banghead:

Glenn,

82 Hatch, ...well it used to be......:temper:

01 Forester, still is a Forester.......:burnout:

• 12 years later...

Does slop in the pitching stopper have any relation to the 4WD light lighting with certain speeds while in FWD? After 60 the light lights. I hold down the Dual Range selector and the light stays out. I have an EA81 1984 GL Station Wagon 4 spd. Dual Range. The pitch stopper is a threaded rod type.

UPDATE! I discovered that a "pitch stopper" adjustment stopped the 4WD lamp from coming on. The pitch of the drivetrain triggered the light switch. Problem solved. Had bad mounts; trans and motor! 

Edited by lrgvanman
Self discovered the answer to my question.

Holy back from the dead batman!

I'm pretty sure it has zero relation to the 4wd light but someone with EA81 experience will chime in.

I know on my 1986 EA82 the "LOW" light can flicker on and off if the shifter's bouncing around too much.

The low light is a simple button that the shift lever pushes on when it's in the low position and if the handle jiggles around the button goes on and off.

Edited by firehawk618