Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

white smoke...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 belizeanbus

belizeanbus

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Idyllwild

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

More news on the rebuild that seems to never end.

EA82: I removed it, replaced head gaskets, and basically everything else. Returned it to the car and it wouldn't start. Traced the problem to a dead fuel pump, and this weekend finally got her to fire up.

Now,... a new problem. She runs fine for a few minutes then starts putting out clouds of white smoke... I searched in the internet and people say that she's must be burning oil (whitish-blue smoke - mine seems white), so I figured maybe she is burning off the assembly lube etc.

Then I was walking around the vehicle looking for a problem and there is a steady stream of oil coming down the driver's side, looks to be underneath the disty, maybe the valve cover gasket...

Any ideas... I replaced all seals/gaskets with OEM and torqued everything to spec. But this doesn't look good. Please send your thoughts. In the meantime, I'll be hoping I don't have to pull that engien again.

belizeanbus

#2 Will Smith

Will Smith

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Placerville

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:48 PM

white smoke means coolant. could be a head gasket or intake gasket.

#3 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:01 AM

I found it possible to get the heads bolted on with one twisted - say up at the front, and the other twisted down at the front. Makes the intake just about impossible to seal up. I found snugging the intake - not super tight, just enough to keep things aligned - while snugging the heads helped to keep everything aligned. Once the heads are not loose enough to move, loosen the intake, tourque the heads.

#4 kayakertom

kayakertom

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Lake Oswego

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:26 AM

Did you use OEM intake manifold gaskets? If you didn't, this could explain the white smoke.

How about the reinforced o-ring between the head and camshaft tower? That oil passageway has high pressure and without the right o-ring, it will leak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users