Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More power from my Outback 2003

Hi all, i got one question for you, how can i get more power from my 2.5 l engine. I take a trip on Google and find this.... is it ok The Subaru outback Adjustable Power Boost - A fully adjustable resistance unit enabling you to boost the power output of your Subaru outback. This dashboard / console mounted variable controller will allow you to adjust and increase the fuel flow into your Subaru outback engine. Suitable for all cars equipped with electronic fuel injection. Our Adjustable Power Boost fools your cars computer into thinking that your Subaru outback engine is sucking in air at a lower temperature, hence the timing is advanced. Timing advance helps produce more power by igniting the sparks sooner, providing more time for the fuel / air mixture to burn completely, increasing cylinder pressure, thus providing more power.

thanks

Hi all, i got one question for you, how can i get more power from my 2.5 l engine. I take a trip on Google and find this.... is it ok The Subaru outback Adjustable Power Boost - A fully adjustable resistance unit enabling you to boost the power output of your Subaru outback. This dashboard / console mounted variable controller will allow you to adjust and increase the fuel flow into your Subaru outback engine. Suitable for all cars equipped with electronic fuel injection. Our Adjustable Power Boost fools your cars computer into thinking that your Subaru outback engine is sucking in air at a lower temperature, hence the timing is advanced. Timing advance helps produce more power by igniting the sparks sooner, providing more time for the fuel / air mixture to burn completely, increasing cylinder pressure, thus providing more power.

thanks

That gizmo might lead to more knocking - I'd be careful.

Reducing rotating mass is a double win situation, less general weight and less rev-robbing mass - lighter rims do that PLUS reduce unsprung weight - triple win right there. Add the likelihood of improving/customizing the looks of your car - it's a no brainer. I upgraded my rims and saved 3.5 pounds per corner. If you have a MT, a lighter flywheel will help.

Any other weight reduction will help. If you can tolerate the risks, run without your spare and jack/tool kit. Only keep 1/4-1/3 tank of gas. gas weighs -what? about 7 lbs per gallon? Do you NEED the rear and passenger seats? ( yeah, I know)

seriously, rule of thumb says losing 8-11 pounds(I've read both numbers - probably depends on a ratio of power wieght at stock weight) is good for one hp. There are 1/4 mile calculation simulatoers on line where you can ebter the specifics of you car. Then you can play around with lower weight numbers and see the difference.

Carl

Forget those "fooling the ecu" jobs ...just a crock & nobody is using them! What boost are you expecting to get without a turbo or supercharger, nitrious?...none!!!

First get a catback exhaust using a 2.25" pipe

Then try a CAI, Header and a Piggyback ECU (perfectpower ecu- SMT-6)

A lightwieght crank pulley helps for quicker revs to redline.

I have done all those and make's a huge difference...but will cost you a few bucks!

The next step is Highflow cat. and cams or turbo conversion....

I also have an '03 outback wagon with a 4eat trans.

thanks

Thise are just variable resistors pput in line with specifice sensors, can be the o2 sensor, and be the TPS, and be almost anywhere and lie to the ecu. YEs you can get more power, but it wil cost you two cat converters.

The only ones worth any money are the chips that go in the ECU, and they aint cheap. Dont by the electric turbo either.

nipper

How much do you plan to spend? Before you do anything, ask for before-and-after performance numbers. Without testing, any change you make will seem to make a difference.

It is difficult - and expensive - to produce a significant power increase on an engine that is already producing 66 hp per liter of displacement. And those increases usually come at the cost of torque low in the rpm range, which can cripple around-town performance.

The 2000-2004 Outbacks are the heaviest of the three generations. The 05 and up have aluminum hoods and tailgates, and the 06's have variable valve timing to increase the power output (to 175hp).

You'll never get your money back on these kinds of modifications - you just as often decrease the value of the car by the amount you spent, because of buyer concerns of wear and abusive driving.

It usually costs $75-100 to put your car on a dynomometer and find out what you have now, and that's an important first step if you are serious about improving performance. The dyno operator where I took my H6 estimated a 2.5 puts out 100-110 hp at the wheels, versus 170+ for the H6 and 200+ for the turbos.

Most automatic 4 cyl Outback wagons are hard pressed to break 10 seconds 0-60mph, and the manuals are only a few tenths quicker. The turbo 2.5l Outbacks and Legacies do 0-60 in under 6 seconds and a quarter mile in under 15. The H6 OB's (also rated for 250hp) do 0-60 in 7-8 seconds. Save your money and buy one of those.

Reducing rotating mass is a double win situation, less general weight and less rev-robbing mass - lighter rims do that PLUS reduce unsprung weight - triple win right there.

QUAD-win: he can get better tires, which stick better, improve driving feel, and are definitely faster than the stock potenzas

Thanks all, i see it is not simple to increse the output of 2.5 engine. But the resistor to foul the ECU I will try it, but the do they have a turbo kit for the 2.5 engine, if so do sombody now how are selling it. :brow: How about to remove the cat and just make the pipe bigger

there aren't too many places that sell power packs, turbos, etc. for the legacy until 2005, when the model exploded (due to a turbo'd gt model....) the perfectpower6 is sold by rallitek (http://www.rallitek.com), but they took down the part of their site that had everything for the older legies. you might have buy one for a 2.5 rs impreza and cross your fingers....

Cobb (http://www.cobbtuning.com) sells miscellanious stuff for the older legacies. their accessport ecu upgrade seems to have rave reviews.

Boxer 4 Racing (http://www.boxer4racing.com) sells subie stuff. again, mainly impreza stuff, but whatever....(they do have exhausts for the legacy!)

you really have to be patient and search a lot to find stuff for it. its hard, it blows, but it happens....

Thanks all, i see it is not simple to increse the output of 2.5 engine.

If you are willing to spend the money, I think the easiest way to increase power is to trade it in on an H6 outback- or even the newer XT.

I can understand if you like to wrench around with your car why you may decide to go the tuner route. But I think for the money, it would be tough to beat the performance gains of simply trading in your car.

If you are willing to spend the money, I think the easiest way to increase power is to trade it in on an H6 outback- or even the newer XT....

oooh didn't pay attention to where you were from... my bad. yeah, much of what I said would be meaningless depending on engine availability and price- both items I know nothing about. so basically if the H6 is not available or is absurdly priced, then just ignore what I said before. :D