Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Impreza Sport + Rain + Check Engine + Tranny

Hi all,

I've searched this board looking for a possible explanation and place to start on finding a problem with my 1999 Outback Wagon Sport.

My wife was coming home from a trip and hit a lot of rain and drove through some decent amount of standing water. She hit one big puddle and the check engine light came on. About an hour later the transmission began slipping.

The next day I drove it and all was well then she called me later in the afternoon to tell me the transmission was doing the same thing again.

It seems that for the first 20 or 30 minutes from starting cold, everything runs fine then it begins slipping and once it finds a gear, it slams into it. It's quite jarring.

I took it to the local Subaru dealer and they tell me it is getting an improper gear ratio code and the way to fix it is getting a $3,700 transmission. Of course it does! Why should I think any differently? :)

The car has 135,000 miles on it and has been back and forth, from sea to shining sea, and has always been a great car. I've always kept it well maintained and I am the original owner. I just can't see how some standing water (6 to 8 inches) just trashed my transmission. The fluid and filter are fine and show no sign of particles or burnt fluid. I guess if a seal was going out maybe water got in but again, I don't see any water in the fluid. There are also zero leaks.

Is there a sensor on the outside of the transmission that could have been damaged by water? Is there something else I could have a mechanic look at before I start shopping for a rebuilt transmission?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Zack Arias

Atlanta, GA

http://www.usedfilm.com

If the tranny was working fine until just before the wifey hits the water puddle....

Since it's an AWD, whenever you drive through water puddles, the differential has to work overtime. That might be a culprit. I'd also check the tranny computer as well. But since it was fine just before she hit the water puddle, I seriously doubt that it's mechanical.

Keep us posted.

water probably got somewhere it shouldn't.

fluid level is fine? transmission pan isn't dented?

i think the rear speed sensor is semi-exposed on the rear of the transmission, at least the wiring harness to it i think is exposed on top of the rear extension housing at the very back of the trans. i'd make sure this connector isn't shorted out or wet.

never had any work done to the transmission?

is it AWD - if so, do all the tires match fairly close? the TCU will shift erratically if the tires are mismatched enough. i doubt this is your problem though since it started after driving through some standing water.

does the POWER light blink 16 times or so when you first start the car? if so, i'd have the codes read and post exactly what comes up. the FSM will give a break down of what route to take for diagnosis.

may have hit it hard enough to make the tranny slip... and then that happens it gets reallll pissed off (when your torque converter isn't syncd' up w/ the rest of the car). try changing the fluid?

I dunno.. .i've driven through a crapton of water in my OBS before... like 2-3 feet of it! ;)

but yeah, change all your fluids, maybe prop the hood open on a sunny day to help things dry out.....

i agree. it has to be electrical. what sensor would measure what to give a 'grea ratio' cel. as much as i'd like to sell you my 99 a/t, i think that's just the dealers solution for evrything.

i went in asking about my duty c solenoid and what codes were in the system (a/t temp light code). they said i needed a clutch pack. yeah... but what code... you need a clutch pack...$950.

may have hit it hard enough to make the tranny slip... and then that happens it gets reallll pissed off (when your torque converter isn't syncd' up w/ the rest of the car). try changing the fluid?

I dunno.. .i've driven through a crapton of water in my OBS before... like 2-3 feet of it! ;)

but yeah, change all your fluids, maybe prop the hood open on a sunny day to help things dry out.....