Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I tried searching but didn't get far. I'm thinking of putting a cargo box on my 2000 Forester. Does anyone with a 98-02 have one, and what kind, and do you like it or not? I am thinking about the Sears XCargo Sport which holds 20 cubic feet partly because I can find one here in town.

Bobbie

we took a trip a couple of years ago and regrettably had to get one. we got a cheap canvas one from target and strapped it on top. it worked ok. we opted for the cheap one ($20 or $30 maybe- can't remember now) instead of the more expensive sears kinds because we knew we'd only use it once- and that's all it was good for. after 1 week, the "weather proof" coating started to flake off the canvas. It still kept everything relatively dry- but we didn't drive through any downpours either (just occasional light or moderate rain).

I just don't like cargo carriers- they're awkward to use and I ended up loading and unloading it every night because I was so paranoid somebody was going to steal it. If I had to do it again, I would have just rented a minivan (which is what I do now)

Renting isn't an option as I am going to Washington for the summer with five dogs, camping gear, a cello, and my own personal clothes and stuff. I could get by with a smallish box if I could find one but so far I haven't.

Bobbie

could make your own. my great grandfather designed and built a roof top carrier that also doubled as a table once you got to your destination...it would be hard to store a sears xcargo carrier (we have one, but it is never used anymore, and it just takes up space in a shed....)

You may need the extra storage, but we purchased a Thule Frontier Box (11 cubic ft.) from Pep Boys for our '99 Forester. The longer boxes like this one are much easier to load and unload from the passenger side. It is also relatively light, a little over 30 lbs, and, therefore, easy to mount. Price was $200.

Our two labs take up the rear of the car, and we have been very happy with our carrier during camping trips.

I don't understand why a longer smaller box would be easier to load from the passenger side. Do you mount it closer to the passenger side?

Bobbie

Yes, Bobbie. It's mounted closer to the passenger side and opens up from that side as well. The square boxes open up from the rear and are a bit more of a hassle to load.

A longer box also gives you more versatility -- many people use them for skis (hence the sitings by fastwgn286 in "mountain towns"), and you can fit a bike carrier or canoe on your roof rack simultaneously.

I've got a thule box... although it's longer than the top of my car... and i can't open the hatch all the way :rolleyes: the long ones are nice, because you can just stack crap on the top of the car (a box, 2 kayaks, a bike...) but 5 dogs!?!? they'd better be small dogs to fit in a subaru! unless one is driving!! :-p

i've seen the semi-large thule/yakama boxes go on craigslist once in a while, not bad prices either.

I just checked, there's a few Yakima space boosters on craigslist in NH, for like 50 bucks, not a bad deal.

yeah, considered a trailer for those dogs? are they dachshunds? (could just vacuum pack them like hot dogs...)

ok, bad joke. don't get peta on my case (afterall, they are just one city over....)

I've got a thule box... although it's longer than the top of my car... and i can't open the hatch all the way :rolleyes: ...

I am assuming that you mean the rear hatch of your car. Couldn't you mount the box farther toward the front of your car? We have no problems with our Forester hatch.

I bought a Thule quest soft bag at Pep Boys but now I discover it isn't waterproof. So I may take it back. It isn't that big a deal not to be, I guess things could go in plastic bags, but it just seems stupid. I haven't found the Frontier here in town yet.

Bobbie

Bummer.

The soft bags are easier to store, but it does have certain drawbacks: 1) not waterproof as you mentioned, 2) More difficullt to pack and unpack (3) Not really lockable.

The hard cargo boxes are nice because you can lock your stuff up and pack or unpack things as you need them. The lid flips up providing easy access to all your stowed items. We keep our dog food up there on road trips, and it's nice to have things dry and accessible.

Bummer.

The soft bags are easier to store, but it does have certain drawbacks: 1) not waterproof as you mentioned, 2) More difficullt to pack and unpack (3) Not really lockable.

The hard cargo boxes are nice because you can lock your stuff up and pack or unpack things as you need them. The lid flips up providing easy access to all your stowed items. We keep our dog food up there on road trips, and it's nice to have things dry and accessible.

Cache is playing games with me, I KNEW I'd mentioned the soft bag already!

I'd like a hard box if I can find one. I guess I need to start calling around.

Bobbie

Cache is playing games with me, I KNEW I'd mentioned the soft bag already!

I'd like a hard box if I can find one. I guess I need to start calling around.

Bobbie

why don't you just order through amazon? I think they have a gazillion cargo carriers.

check sporting goods stores, or outdoor adventure stores. there has to be one within 20 miles of where ever you are

I called the places that Thule says stock them and can only find the larger and smaller ones; I called Pep Boys and they have the next biggest one on sale (Mountaineer?) which would work but might be a bit of overkill. No wongleflute's here. (Central California.) Shipping is outrageous from anywhere.

Bobbie

I called the places that Thule says stock them and can only find the larger and smaller ones; I called Pep Boys and they have the next biggest one on sale (Mountaineer?) which would work but might be a bit of overkill. No wongleflute's here. (Central California.) Shipping is outrageous from anywhere.

Bobbie

Found one, at Sports Authority. I think I may go with that instead of the soft bag after reading reviews on the soft one and considering not being able to lock it. According to Thule's site it should not be longer than my car.

Thanks for your help!

PS the dogs are 4 Welsh Corgis and one Lab.

Bobbie

Found one, at Sports Authority. I think I may go with that instead of the soft bag after reading reviews on the soft one and considering not being able to lock it. According to Thule's site it should not be longer than my car.

Thanks for your help!

PS the dogs are 4 Welsh Corgis and one Lab.

Bobbie

I got it and got it on- looks good! I have to finish mounting it as I was doing it at the store and could only get three bolts attached so I tied the front down in addition to drive home.

Bobbie

I got it and got it on- looks good! I have to finish mounting it as I was doing it at the store and could only get three bolts attached because a plastic tie that was too heavy to break was in the fourth hole so I tied the front down in addition to drive home.

Bobbie

Aargh.... discovered one of the two remaining screws and nuts MISSING. Now I have to go back to the store (12 mile RT) to get a replacement. Very irritating, as I am busy trying to get ready for two different trips.

I tried searching but didn't get far. I'm thinking of putting a cargo box on my 2000 Forester. Does anyone with a 98-02 have one, and what kind, and do you like it or not? I am thinking about the Sears XCargo Sport which holds 20 cubic feet partly because I can find one here in town.

Bobbie

I have a 03 and put the Sears cargo box on it and it worked fine and I like it alot.

When i said it was longer than my car, i ment the roof part. When it's forward, all the way, i still can't open my hatch... when i had the factory racks, it fit fine, but the front end hung WAY over the windshield, and it bounced alot (when the front was loaded). Now w/ 3 bars i don't really need to worry about it (Thule Evolution 1800) ;)

Good to hear you finally found something! too bad about the midding nuts. Another cool thing with the box.. if there's not really room to store it.. just leave it on the car, it'll mess w/ your gas milage, yeah.. but it's nice to just be able to throw crap in it, and go... not deal with taking it off & on again.

You can also transport people you don't want inside you car in it too, makes them shut up real quick :D