Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 and ea82, what's the difference

I was out the local junk yard today and came across a ea82 motor looks just like the ea71 in my hatchback... I was wondering if the motor drops in with out any major modifactions, and if i can still use all the 87 carb wirring. So there for i would just be upgrading the long block. Will the ea71 intake manifold fit on the ea82? And what is the horse power on the ea71, ea81, ea82? Also what's the biggest stroke i can make the motor.... I would like to stroke it to 2.0 at the least...

,':newbee:',

The EA82 looks nothing like the EA71 - the EA81 looks very similar tho. The EA82 will fit in your 87 hatch, but it will be tight, and you will have to mix and match clutch components to get it to work. The EA82 is also an OHC engine, and is much wider than an EA81 or EA71. You can also bolt up and EA81 to your car - the difference in HP between the 1.8L EA81 and the 1.8L EA82 is very small - the later EA81's had hydraulic lifters that made them a bit more powerful than the early models. It's also easy to increase the compression and to change the grind of the cam in the EA81's to get 9.5:1 compression, and around 110 HP - making it more powerful than a stock EA82, and almost as powerful as an EA82T. Also the EA81 doesn't have the timing belts like the EA82, so that's one less thing to break or service.

GD

Is there any pictures online of the Ea82 motor, I'd just like to take a look at it.. Now for the ea71 and ea81, the motors are pretty identical. What's the biggest bore someone has done to the ea81. Because like you guys said build the ea71 would be a waste of time...