Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Better weber adaptor

Obviously, Redline adaptors look like they're made in Taiwan. Who makes a better 32/36 adaptor? Does Offenhauser still make em? Also, is there any 40mm DCOE setups on EA81/82? Couldn't find anything searching.
Bow Wow in Lynnwood sells the EMPI adapter for the EA81 (not sure about the EA82). I have some custom adapters that were made by a board member that I'd consider selling. Come by sometime and look at it if you like. ---ed---

I agree that the Redline adapter is not as well made as some others may be. My Redline adapter lined up with the intake and carb bolt holes perfectly, but that's about as good as it gets. The adapter bore didn't match the intake throat bore very well. It over lapped in one spot and and looked more restrictive than the intake itself. I took it to my machinist buddy and he milled and beveled the bore to fit the intake throat perfectly.. If you buy a Redline, you should expect to have the bore milled a little bit to get a perfect matchup with the intake.

I didn't need to use the linkage kit that came with the carb. I took the linkage off of the Hitachi and it fit perfectly on the Weber throttle shaft, as well as lined up with the cable.

Yes, Me Too...

But mine is a kit "K731" spec. for EA82 (Means: two adapter plates to make one) the one for EA81 is named "K730" (Single Adapter) in Redline Weber... (www.webercarburetors.com)

The only issue I Got on that adapter, is that the bolts that came with it, didn`t fit the intake`s diameter... as I explained here:

And how to correct that... (With Pics)

Any else looks and works perfectly for me.

Looking at the pictures from you EA82 Weber job, it looks like the intake throat and adapter bores were mis-matched as well. In your case, the intake bore looked a little smaller, whereas my EA81 adapter plate bore was smaller? I believe I would have taken the intake and milled the bore to match the adapter bore. Don't really know if it matters or not.. I'm sort of funny about things that don't quite fit perfect.. :grin:

In all, good job with the hoses and stuff. Looks really clean under the hood.

I'm sort of funny about things that don't quite fit perfect.. :grin: In all, good job with the hoses and stuff. Looks really clean under the hood.

Thanks!

I am like you with things that don´t fit perfect... But let me explain why I did leave that like this in that situation: It´s all about the size of the openings at the Engine´s Heads and the size of the intake itself.

Due to the fact that the size of the intake and the heads opening is the same, I believe that mill the intake bore does not have any effect or difference in the engine´s Performance -or carburetor´s Performance- that´s why I leave it like that... but is good idea to do things better and let the intake opening match exactly the adapter´s opening.

I´ll like to see pics of your intake mill job done... Do you have any pics?

Well... Thanx! :)

I matched mine up with a round file - didn't take long. Dremel would work too. I've ground on some, and not on others - no difference that I could tell. The intake manifold itself is more of a restriction - better to just get an EA82 manifold, and use the EA82 adaptor. Better flow all around.

GD