Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Better weber adaptor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SOOBOUTLAW

SOOBOUTLAW

Junkyard Junkie

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • EVERETT

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:51 PM

Obviously, Redline adaptors look like they're made in Taiwan. Who makes a better 32/36 adaptor? Does Offenhauser still make em? Also, is there any 40mm DCOE setups on EA81/82? Couldn't find anything searching.

#2 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:24 AM

Obviously, Redline adaptors look like they're made in Taiwan. Who makes a better 32/36 adaptor? Does Offenhauser still make em? Also, is there any 40mm DCOE setups on EA81/82? Couldn't find anything searching.

Bow Wow in Lynnwood sells the EMPI adapter for the EA81 (not sure about the EA82). I have some custom adapters that were made by a board member that I'd consider selling. Come by sometime and look at it if you like. ---ed---

#3 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:50 AM

Ed I maybe looking for a EA81 Adapter soon, if you have a spare.

-Brian

#4 Mudboat

Mudboat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • New Orleans

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:18 AM

I agree that the Redline adapter is not as well made as some others may be. My Redline adapter lined up with the intake and carb bolt holes perfectly, but that's about as good as it gets. The adapter bore didn't match the intake throat bore very well. It over lapped in one spot and and looked more restrictive than the intake itself. I took it to my machinist buddy and he milled and beveled the bore to fit the intake throat perfectly.. If you buy a Redline, you should expect to have the bore milled a little bit to get a perfect matchup with the intake.

#5 spanky_pete

spanky_pete

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:36 AM

I got my weber kit from a board member(bigjim5551212), and the adapter plate lined up perfectly and the build quality looked fine to me. :confused:

It was actually the linkage kit that looked a bit cheesy to me.

#6 Mudboat

Mudboat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • New Orleans

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

I didn't need to use the linkage kit that came with the carb. I took the linkage off of the Hitachi and it fit perfectly on the Weber throttle shaft, as well as lined up with the cable.

#7 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,723 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

I didn't need to use the linkage kit that came with the carb. I took the linkage off of the Hitachi and it fit perfectly on the Weber throttle shaft, as well as lined up with the cable.

Yes, Me Too...

But mine is a kit "K731" spec. for EA82 (Means: two adapter plates to make one) the one for EA81 is named "K730" (Single Adapter) in Redline Weber... (www.webercarburetors.com)

The only issue I Got on that adapter, is that the bolts that came with it, didn`t fit the intake`s diameter... as I explained here:

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=53143

And how to correct that... (With Pics)

Any else looks and works perfectly for me.

#8 Mudboat

Mudboat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • New Orleans

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:27 PM

Looking at the pictures from you EA82 Weber job, it looks like the intake throat and adapter bores were mis-matched as well. In your case, the intake bore looked a little smaller, whereas my EA81 adapter plate bore was smaller? I believe I would have taken the intake and milled the bore to match the adapter bore. Don't really know if it matters or not.. I'm sort of funny about things that don't quite fit perfect.. :grin:

In all, good job with the hoses and stuff. Looks really clean under the hood.

#9 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,723 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

I'm sort of funny about things that don't quite fit perfect.. :grin: In all, good job with the hoses and stuff. Looks really clean under the hood.

Thanks!

I am like you with things that don´t fit perfect... But let me explain why I did leave that like this in that situation: It´s all about the size of the openings at the Engine´s Heads and the size of the intake itself.

Due to the fact that the size of the intake and the heads opening is the same, I believe that mill the intake bore does not have any effect or difference in the engine´s Performance -or carburetor´s Performance- that´s why I leave it like that... but is good idea to do things better and let the intake opening match exactly the adapter´s opening.

I´ll like to see pics of your intake mill job done... Do you have any pics?

Well... Thanx! :)

#10 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:11 PM

I matched mine up with a round file - didn't take long. Dremel would work too. I've ground on some, and not on others - no difference that I could tell. The intake manifold itself is more of a restriction - better to just get an EA82 manifold, and use the EA82 adaptor. Better flow all around.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users