Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5/24/06 8pm. Help, I think i made a mistake just a minute ago(tire purchase)

sayn3ver

So yea, i am starting to set things in motion. I popped onto 4wheelparts tonight and was poking around the tire selection. I ordering my struts(forester) and springs in a week(waiting for my brother to get enough money to order his items as well so we can split shipping and handling costs). Anyways, i think i made a mistake.

I ordered the 215/85/15 TSL radials for my impreza. I heard good things about the tsl's and they were cheaper vs the newer ssr which i have heard isn't as good. I thought the size was 27inches but i just redid the math and its coming out 29inches. Ut oh.

So i suppose my question is, will these clear the spring perches or should i call 4wheelparts and switch the tsl's for 27inch ssr's. before they ship out.

i am already getting forester struts and springs. I know they will lift it about 2 inches. I am planning on an Allied Armerment lift sometime this summer. But not right now.

I have a feeling i will need to call them and switch to 27" ssr's. Its going to suck because 5 tsl radials cost only $459(4wheelparts.com has free frieght shipping right now). 4 ssr's are gonna be $420. I dont know if i want to spend over 500 for tires.

Do you think i can squeeze 29's with a BFH? i am worried about not having enough fender to cut to make room.

sounds like a job of cutting & re-welding your spring perches :rolleyes:

just don't boil your oil! or you'll get into big problems!

eesh, everyone's lifting their new gens now.. i'd better get on that top secret project of mine, so top all of them!! muahahaha :D

i called them before anyone replied to my last comment. They told me to call tomorow morning and i can get ssr's swapped for the tsl's no prob. i kept reading that zapar had 28 tsl's and just assumed the 215/85/15's were the 28's(actually 27.7) that he had. my mistake. I was expecting alittle cutting and maybe some washers but i think i'd need to sawzaw most of my car for 29's.

Btw, what secret project would you be workin on?

I don't plan to go any further than an allied armerment lift and maybe swap in a rear lsd if i can find one cheap.

These are what I put on. 27/9.50/14. With the offset of the wheels, I had to use a quarter inch worth of spacers to keep the inside of the tire from rubbing on the strut in the rear. There was room for a taller tire, but not much.

In the front they rubbed bad on the plastic mud guard in the wheel well, but no biggie. There's plenty of cutting and trimming to be done to squeeze them.

I'd say go with the 27s.

142new2.jpg

29" tires won't fit under the stock spring perches of Forester struts. I have a Forester with 215/85r15 TSL's. My spring perches however have been moved up 1 1/2" to give 2" of lift and allow for fitment of 29" tires. I also used a BFH to give clearence in the fender well. I think the Impreza fender wells are smaller than the Forester which will be another issue for you.