Ultimate Subaru Message Board

check engine light/cruize control light flashing

I'm trying to save a buck and diagnose my Fiancée's car problem. I was wondering if anyone might know the fix to this problem. First off her car is a used 2004 Subaru (Warranty ran out) legacy anniversary edition. The check engine light came on the other day and we also noticed that the cruise control light is now flashing too. Does anyone know what I should start inspecting? Fuses? She doesn't have a Manuel so I not sure what fuse to pull if that is even it. So any guesses?

thanks in advance.:headbang:

I'm trying to save a buck and diagnose my Fiancée's car problem. I was wondering if anyone might know the fix to this problem. First off her car is a used 2004 Subaru (Warranty ran out) legacy anniversary edition. The check engine light came on the other day and we also noticed that the cruise control light is now flashing too. Does anyone know what I should start inspecting? Fuses? She doesn't have a Manuel so I not sure what fuse to pull if that is even it. So any guesses?

thanks in advance.:headbang:

to quote someone much smarter than i , the CEL means something isn't quite right; :(you should go a auto parts store (autozone) and have the codes read. then you'll know some thing.

a flashijng CEL means stop the car and send lassie for help.:eek:

the codes will tell you whats wrong, then maybe some one can give you a hint for the fix.

good luck,

john

its an auto. (sorry for not stating that). I didn't check the manuel cuz I don't have one. (I ordered one via the net the other day but it's not here yet. ) Thanks for the "go get the codes read tip at the parts store" tip. I will do that tomorrow.

Anyone had their codes read before? What should that run me. $20-25?

(aprox., just so I know that they are not trying to gyp me.)

thanks guys!:headbang:

free!!! :banana:

its an auto. (sorry for not stating that). I didn't check the manuel cuz I don't have one. (I ordered one via the net the other day but it's not here yet. ) Thanks for the "go get the codes read tip at the parts store" tip. I will do that tomorrow.

Anyone had their codes read before? What should that run me. $20-25?

(aprox., just so I know that they are not trying to gyp me.)

thanks guys!:headbang:

Make sure your gas cap is sealing properly. I've had the same problem with an '05 OBW two times now and cured it by taking the cap off and tightening it thoroughly. It takes a few miles( less than 20, I guess, cuz I wasn't really counting)and/or a few starts and stops of the engine before the lights (CEL and cruise) will go out. FYI: When my cruise light was blinking I couldn't make use of cruise control on my manual trans. Visually inspect the seal to make sure there are no tears or kinks in it. Hope this helps since you can do this for free and don't have to go anywhere. It worked for me!

That's interesting. With a loose gas cap the light will flash? I have just seen them come on steady, but the only time my Subie did this was when it wanted an ox sensor. My BMW wanted a new $1.00 gasket on the gas cap and the light was also steady. You learn something every day.

In both cases, for me, the CEL was on steady and the cruise light was flashing. My interpretation of the original post was this same situation. We'll all be grateful, Walkman05, if you would specify this discrepency and let us know if the problem was fixed and how you fixed it. Thanks from all of the students at Subie U!