Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Approch Angles... It's Bragging time everyone!

Andyjo

yeah yeah, i don't have much to brag about, but what do you all have?

i've got roughly 31 deg on the bumper, and 28 deg on the radiator support, and 38 deg where the wheel would hit... (if i were to go for a rock w/ one wheel)

aangles.jpg

The dimensions look like they're in the wrong place... but they just go in order.....

So let's have it! i know some of you guys w/ lifted hatches & bumpers have some sweet angles :brow:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should get a steeper angle on the one from the corner of the bumper. If you look at the line it is cutting through the tire to hit the part of the tire on the ground. It should be the angle from were the line first touches the tire from the bumper.

Your approach angle looks pretty friggin sweet for an imp andyjo. If you raise the bumper, you expose the radiator support. Bumper's fine where it is.

Ad a couple of beams from the bumper to the crossmember to skid along, or at least use as feelers rather than the header. You can use it to mount your skid plate later on down the line.

The arrow is pointing to your actual approach angle.

Looks pretty good!

Tip: to get a more accurate representation, you need to get the camera really far away, and then use a telephoto lense. This will make the viewing angles more accurate to reduce error. A shot from infinity (kinda hard to do!) will make the tires on each side line up perfectly, and the ground appear as a plane parallel to your camera sight.

no, that would be 3rd Degree Outery

Well, if what I said is '3rd Deg Outery', then fershure 'Outacy' is the compulsive mental disorder wherin one is driven by an uncontrollable need for telling everyone that sombody is gay without their permission.

The patiant is known as an 'Outiac'.

Sorry I don't have autocad, nor better asphault pix, but here's what I've got...

(1st) Stock '95 Legacy L,

(2nd) on outback stuts, 205x75 14s and Mudrat bunmper after the wreck(sorry i don't have a better profile shot)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2467&d=1114457179

i dont either. i used photoshop. set a horizontal guide and rotate the picture until the approach angle is horizontal. whatever the last degree was that you rotated it, is your angle.

Sorry I don't have autocad, nor better asphault pix, but here's what I've got...

(1st) Stock '95 Legacy L,

(2nd) on outback stuts, 205x75 14s and Mudrat bunmper after the wreck(sorry i don't have a better profile shot)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2467&d=1114457179

so...here

redapproach.jpg

i would venture to guess that the reason that i have as much as you do with the mudrat bumper is because my tires are bigger.. same height and width, but you've got 14", i've got 15"

what about actual measurement,ie hold a metal plate,or piece plywood to tires and measue angle with protractor.I would do mine but a stock brat can't be anywhere near impressive.

I just didn't have anything big enough laying around to do it the 'correct' way :-\