Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Source of evaporative emissions system leak

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:34 AM

I just thought that I would post my experience with this difficult to diagnose code. When I first got the code I spent a fair amount of time checking the evap solenoid, PSS valve, map sensor, and related tubing, finding nothing wrong. I decided that I could wait, as it doesn't really affect drivability, so I waited until my NYS inspection had nearly expired (80-120 hour weeks will cause this) to take a look at it again.

A couple of days ago I discovered from looking in the gas filler tube that it had a small rust hole that was probably the location of the leak. Last night from inside the wheel well I took off the small plastic cover that hides the fill tube and evap lines that run in that area. All of the fasteners very easily broke off. I WAS MORTIFIED!!! The damage from salt is absolute unbelievable, bordering on carnage.

I highly recommend to anyone driving in the salt belt that they try to wash behind this cover the best they can on a regular basis during winter. It had about five pounds of salty sand stuck behind it when I removed it, and the car has been washed half a dozen times since winter. I take great care to wash the wheel wells when I wash a car, but I doubt my wife is as anal, and this is her daily driver. This is a design flaw in my opinion, it either needs to be completely sealed to keep stuff out, or it needs enough access to allow easy washing without endangering the lines from flying rocks.

I will probably need to buy the "shut valve" as well. It bolts to the top of the fill tube and two evap line connect to it. It is totally encrusted in a mound of salty sand, and I'm relatively sure I won't be able to reuse it. Some of the other metal evap lines in the area crumbled when I touched them. This is not going to be an easy repair. I'll post back later....

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,576 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:28 AM

Yup....this is pretty common on the cars up in the NE. My buddy in college had a 95 legacy, and had to replace the filler neck tube because it rusted through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users