Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Twin Stick EA82 Oh Yeah!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

Which one to drive today?

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:30 PM

Well after talking about it, listening to others talk about, then testing 2wd lo ...I went about rigging it up. Not a finished product at the moment but fully functional. Still need to move the lo light switch, install a position lock (so passenger's knees don't knock it out while wheelin), and fix things up a bit more. I like driving around in 2wd lo for the power to turn those big rump roast tires, but wanted to be able to still use 2wd hi for the highway/other reasons, and definately 4wd high. So not wanting to get out of the car to change from lo to hi I rednecked up this after trying a few other things that didn't work out. This version was much-much simpler and easier than my first few trys.
Linkage redone:
Posted Image

Interior shot (don't let the 4wd knob throw you, it's only for hi-lo, the original stick is still in place to switch from 2wd to 4wd):
Posted Image

Next comparsion pics to show how little you have to move it
In Hi Range:
Posted Image

In Lo Range:
Posted Image

Now I have way too many switches and levers everywhere :headbang: !

#2 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

AWESOME!:banana: i was planning on doing that in my hatch too!

#3 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

oh, and was any welding required?

#4 strat

strat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Williamsport

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

very cool!

i have that same cb too :D

#5 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

I do not have a welder so this was done without a welder. Though I am going to take it my brother and him weld a few points on it, and reinforce it. Done with part of the old linkage, couple of bolts, an older threaded curtain rod, a thick piece of metal, couple of u-clamps, and a drill that's it.
Got this done, installed a giant swamp cooler, and painted the baby's room today. So did not take very long at all, putting on the finishing touches and making it look a little nicer will take longer. Have actually been working on this for a few weeks, but this easier thought came into my head last night.

#6 Buick350X

Buick350X

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • NW Ohio

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:59 PM

Not what I expected but still neat.

Thought I was gonna see two 5 speeds stuck end to end.
Buddy did that in a furd, stuck two 5 speeds end to end for a mega range. Shifting in R is neat. Did it all with a cheapo flux welder n some clutch disc parts. Held some how.

#7 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:04 PM

cool, thanks

#8 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:43 PM

Very neat. I like it. If I wasn't going to put on my 15" mags with lower profile tires I would do this too. But I decided I wanted road wheels and offroad wheels. And I spent the money already.. But this is great, would make driving on 29's much nicer I bet...

#9 SakoTGrimes

SakoTGrimes

Aint got no Subaru!

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:30 AM

Now I have way too many switches and levers everywhere :headbang: !

No such thing.

So, it it front or sensible wheel drive when in 2lo?:grin:

#10 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:36 AM

I really like how you set it up.You kept it simple so that you know exactly what is going on.Also alot of people over engineer stuff when they do stuff and I think it takes alot more inventiveness to make it simple and keep it that way.Way to go man!:banana:

#11 HATCHY

HATCHY

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Everett. 425

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:44 PM

i love switches all over

#12 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

Are you pulling the lever on the tranny inline with it's original direction or at a slightly different angle than it was when it was hooked to the 4wd shifter on the tranny?

I've been looking at doing that too but have been wondering if I seperate the two linkages if I can tug/push on them from slightly different angles then they were designed for and still have them work properly over the long haul.

Looks good,
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer
84 GL Mad Max
01 Forester

#13 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:41 PM

Are you pulling the lever on the tranny inline with it's original direction or at a slightly different angle than it was when it was hooked to the 4wd shifter on the tranny?

I've been looking at doing that too but have been wondering if I seperate the two linkages if I can tug/push on them from slightly different angles then they were designed for and still have them work properly over the long haul.

Looks good,
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer
84 GL Mad Max
01 Forester

It actually sits over about 3-4" more, which is why I have the big L bracket in there. But on the EA82 D/R the shift linkage is like a ball joint/heim joint (sorry not sure what the correct lingo is) so you should be able to pull/push at an angle that's not to extreme and it would still work. Might just not be as smooth. Glenn your a master at this kinda stuff so I'm sure whatever you come up with will be way better than mine. At least I know you have a welder...that would've made my life a lot easier.

And yes this thing has switches and levers everywhere now:
5-Speed Stick
2wd/4wd Lever
Hi/Lo Lever
2 - Radiator Fan Switches
2 - Off Road Light Switches
1 Idle Up Switch (for cranking the idle up a couple hundred rpms when needed, hint use the A/C wires to the ECU and play around)
Plus all the stock stuff, geez.

#14 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,424 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

thats sweet.......

#15 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:40 AM

I'm bumping this back up with a small warning:
When driving in 2 LO:
1. Do not dump the clutch to try and spin your 29" tires, it will do it..but is not a good idea. (duh)
2. Once spinning your tires in 2 LO do not hit bumps/dips hard (duh again)
3. If you do any of this, once it grabs traction you WILL break a front axle
4. It's only worth doing #1-#3 when a fellow co-worker says "I doubt that car can even move those tires with that lawnmower engine".
5. #4 really isn't worth the trouble, but the look on your co-workers face while spinning 29" tires (well one lol) is unbeatable. This was one of the only axles I hadn't changed yet but showed no signs of going bad until it did. Luckily it didn't come apart till my way home that night (not in front of the co-worker...shew)

So all in all this is a great upgrade, I can drive the car like normal with a top speed of about 58-60mph in 2 LO in 5th gear and still have power to climb the hills, now I can actually get to the trails. Takes the lugging off your clutch/engine and puts all the stress on the axles, so be careful and just don't do anything stupid like me.
Jerry can chime in and tell you guys what a difference it makes for just driving the car, he has driven it since I did the twin stick conversion. Puts lots of torque on your front axles.
Lesson learned: Nice to show off your lifted rig, bad to repair it afterwards...

#16 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:39 PM

Ya I can only imagine what monster torque you are putting to the front wheels when dumping the clutch!I love the way it drives in 2wd Lo.I am really thinking about doing the same cause it really makes a huge difference.

Truth be told it is well worth it!:headbang:

#17 kingbobdole

kingbobdole

Mr. XT-6

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:46 PM

so when you gonna make me one?:brow:

#18 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 03 July 2006 - 03:49 PM

Ok,

Officially looking for a Tan 4WD EA81 vintage lever in or near Utah!:brow:

Two park brake levers, two 4WD levers...:rolleyes:Hummmm!

#19 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:29 AM

KBD- You could manage to do this better than I did I'm sure, your just as creative plus you have access to tools I don't have. If you want one of those L brackets I got ton sitting around, even Jerry took one in case he could use it on his EA81.

Sweet - What's next for the buggy after that? 2 Engines? :headbang:

#20 kingbobdole

kingbobdole

Mr. XT-6

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

I might have to come take a look....
Not that I need more projects:horse:

#21 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,796 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

How have the conversions been going fellas? Any chance we could get a detailed write up with photos in the near future?

#22 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:49 PM

Not sure anyone else has done it????
Truth be told I haven't even touched my setup yet, still works/looks exactly like those pics (except the lo-switch has been relocated to work, don't know why but I like seeing the LO light on when cruising in town :lol:)
I own a welder now (:headbang: ) so I am planning on redoing it a tad, will take detailed pics and do a good write up. After looking at Jerry's hatch one day we figured out it's the same mod on an EA81 just on the opposite side of the tranny. Which is easy info for those EA81 guys out there.
Have prob put about 4-5k on it since then mostly in 2wd LO (I drive it a lot to and from work just for a change, and it doubled as a DD when my RX screwed with me for a few weeks). No problems to report :

Edit: Forgot to mention 2wd LO is actually great for climbing large hills while out crawling, gives you that extra ummph have used it a few times (only useful if you can make it without needing 4wd engaged)

#23 Rooinater

Rooinater

Official Thread Killer...

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:41 AM

very interesting and a nice idea. but it'd be pointless for me... ;) i got the second tcase...2 lows, and i can use subaru low with rear wheeldrive...
also got a front lsd...

#24 dixracing

dixracing

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • shelton,wa.

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

so i must of missed the jist of this thread........what was the conversion ?....will you please explain? thanks......

#25 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:03 AM

I seperated the LO-HI from the 4wd stick.
Which means I can shift into LO without going into 4wd first.
So I have 2wd LO (this is what you gain), 2wd HI, 4wd LO, and 4wd High.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users