Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Clutch Life?

I know this depends heavily on the driver, but how long do you all typically see an EA82 clutch last under normal everyday conditions? My XT clutch is holding and releasing, but not grabbing very hard and the engagement point is quite high, even with the cable tightened down... It hit 103k miles today, how much longer do you think it has under normal driving circumstances?

I was dumbfounded when my Legacy's clutch bit the dust at 109,999 miles :brolleyes:

143,000 miles and still on the second clutch. Previous owner bought it new and only replaced it once. I havent replaced it yet. Even when I rebuilt the engine the clutch was fine so I just reused it.

I'm pretty nice on the clutch tho. Just mean on the drive train :)

I replaced the clutch on my '88 at 230,000km (approx), right after I bought it. The owner said it was the original clutch. It was right at the end of its life - another 10,000km or so, and I'd have rivet-on-flywheel action (not so nice). The flywheel was still perfect. A mechanic friend of mine was pretty impressed with how nice it looked, so the car must have been treated really gently.

NOTE: 230,000km is about 145,000 miles

My '86 had its clutch replaced after about 80,000 miles (or so I was told). It feels like the flywheel needs resurfacing, so I'm pretty sure it was treated fairly rough at some point before I got it.

So, if you've treated your car fairly well, I'd say 110,000-120,000 would probably be a good number to go by.

What causes some clutches to be much stiffer than on other cars. my friends mom's 94 loyale feels smooth and easy like a hydraulic. Mine is a bit stiffer, and another friends 92 is just rock solid. Any ways to get better feel? It is adjusted pretty well because they start to engage early on.

Cool, thanks guys... :)

Martin, it's most likely a worn-out cable as Caleb mentioned. When I got my Legacy it was almost painful to drive it, but I put up with it for a few months, then I had the dealer put a new one in (before I had any mechanical aptitude :rolleyes: ), and it was literally a completely opposite feeling! My Legacy's clutch with the new cable is lighter than any hydraulic clutch I've ever driven... In fact, when the XT's clutch decides to poop out, I will replace its cable as well while I'm there, since it's a bit stiff too...

well i put in a clutch in the wagon i bought from Bill P. driven 16k since feb this year. the clutch feels like its not even there really, and engages almost at the top, but never slips, shudders nothing.. so i figured it was normal..

when i did it i bought OEM parts from the dealer, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and both bearings, and a rear main seal. so it cost me like $700 for parts alone, but the clutch is nice and solid :)

my clutch used to be rock solid. i figured the cable was probably frayed in it's housing. i found out that was exactly it when i was on my way to get some free parts. cable snapped. i bought new one from napa or checker or autozone or something. damn thing didn't fit. i went to my dealer and they could get it cheaper than anyone in town. when i first tested it after finally getting it installed, i thought i messed up because it was so light compared to before. i had to use my right foot to tell how stiff it actually was. after driving forever on the stiff one i was always slamming the pedal into the floorboard. go OEM definitely.

so how hard is it to replace the cable? I'll take a look for a spring assist... it would be nice to get that super smooth feel. can you get any grease on the fork while it is assembled, or is it too hard to reach. so far tranny and engine drops are they only thing i haven't really tackled.

Can't get to the fork with everything assembled.. not that part of it at least.

Clutch cable isn't terribly hard.. can be somewhat frustrating though.. give yourself a couple of hours to do it the first time.. second time it will take less than half the time

Caleb, I didn't do my Legacy cable as I mentioned, but the stupid Haynes manual confused me on one thing: it said the first thing to do was disconnect the release lever return spring. I never found it, but I heard it mentioned somewhere, that on Hill-Holder equipped cars, the spring that releases the Hill-Holder valve is also the release lever return spring... Both my Legacy and XT have the Hill-Holder, so is this true?