Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, straight answer; what trannies will swap into '00 OBW?

Anyone know for sure?

I'm looking at buying a dead 2000 OBW automatic and need to replace the tranny with a salvage yard purchase. Yes, the tranny is really dead.

What other years/models will fit? No speculation guys. If you don't know, don't reply.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. in advance. if you have the answer.

TZ1A4ZCABA

TZ1A4ZCACA

check your model number.

Anyone know for sure?

I'm looking at buying a dead 2000 OBW automatic and need to replace the tranny with a salvage yard purchase. Yes, the tranny is really dead.

What other years/models will fit? No speculation guys. If you don't know, don't reply.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. in advance. if you have the answer.

Thanks for replying. Are those Outback model numbers or tranny model numbers and where do I find them? And what years are they out of?

I was hoping to hear something to tell a salvage yard that would be simple and accurate.

TIA

those are both 2000 trans model numbers. is usually printed on trhe top of the trans, back of the engine, near the fire wall, view from the drivers side. it also will be on the metal plate riveted to the strut housing near the fuse box under the hood. at least it is on the late 90's.

but, the easiest thing to do is to go to "car-part.com" and plug in your information. i always sort my search by distance, that way i look at the closest salvage yards first. some may be with in driving distsnce.

good luck.!!

Thanks for replying. Are those Outback model numbers or tranny model numbers and where do I find them? And what years are they out of?

I was hoping to hear something to tell a salvage yard that would be simple and accurate.

TIA

Do you know where the motor stamp is? Anyway.. you should be able to use any tranny out of an EJ20, EJ22, EJ25, EZ30, or EG33. You wouldn't want one off of an EG33 though.. those SVX trannies were prone to failure. Pretty much any transmission newer than 97 or 98 should bolt right on. It would take a little extra work to do a 5 speed swap. If I'm wrong on any of this someone please correct me!

the wiring harness changed between 98 and 99. apparently they added some stuff to the 99 trans.

most model year productions ran from july thru june. most of the years, the trans model numbers changed just the last 4 charters. but in some cases other characters changed.

example: TZ102ZAAAA = 95 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD the Z's indicate awd

TA102AAAAA = 95 LEG 2.2 A/T FWD; 2&6 "A"s = fwd

TZ102ZABAA = 96 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD

TZ102ZACAA = 97/98 2.2L LEG A/T AWD

TZ102Z2CBA = 97/98 2.5L a/t awd outback; the 2 = 2.5L except in 96 where in meant outback trim

TZ102Z2DBA = 98/99 2.5L a/t awd outback

TZ1A2ZJEBA = 99 (late) 2.5 a/t awd outback; the 4th A is different, new gen of trans????????

TZ1A4ZCCA = 2000 2.5 a/t awd outback; another change yet again

in addition the gt's and the lsi have different model numbers... the obw and sus have different rear ends and gearing... the long and short of it is , lots of trans mission will bolt right on, but the computers may not be happy and they wiring may be different. so get one that matches.

i have put this info together through my onnw reasearch, and it may not be entirely accurate.

john

Do you know where the motor stamp is? Anyway.. you should be able to use any tranny out of an EJ20, EJ22, EJ25, EZ30, or EG33. You wouldn't want one off of an EG33 though.. those SVX trannies were prone to failure. Pretty much any transmission newer than 97 or 98 should bolt right on. It would take a little extra work to do a 5 speed swap. If I'm wrong on any of this someone please correct me!

Sorry if this is redundant, but don't you have to make sure that the front diff final drive ratio (part of the trans) matches the rear diff final drive ratio exactly? I'm assuming you change the front diff as part of the trans.

yes the front diff is bolted on to the trans and the unit is called a transaxle. if the trans you install has the same model number as the one you remove then all the gearing will match. if you choose a trans model from a different year, try and get the tcu computer as well, if you choose a different model vehicle, legacy vs. outback vs. gt, then get the tcu and rear diff as well.

but any tz102zaaaa will bolt right into a 95 leg awd 2.2 a/t and run. search "car-part.com" for your trans. hundreds to choose from.

Sorry if this is redundant, but don't you have to make sure that the front diff final drive ratio (part of the trans) matches the rear diff final drive ratio exactly? I'm assuming you change the front diff as part of the trans.

those SVX trannies were prone to failure.

Only because they were hooked up to 230hp engine with an inadequate tranny cooler. Put a tranny cooler on them and they are fine. They can handle a 1000hp WRX, like ESX's WRX. ESX's WRX runs the EG33 tranny with a shift kit. :banana:

the wiring harness changed between 98 and 99. apparently they added some stuff to the 99 trans.

most model year productions ran from july thru june. most of the years, the trans model numbers changed just the last 4 charters. but in some cases other characters changed.

example: TZ102ZAAAA = 95 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD the Z's indicate awd

TA102AAAAA = 95 LEG 2.2 A/T FWD; 2&6 "A"s = fwd

TZ102ZABAA = 96 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD

TZ102ZACAA = 97/98 2.2L LEG A/T AWD

TZ102Z2CBA = 97/98 2.5L a/t awd outback; the 2 = 2.5L except in 96 where in meant outback trim

TZ102Z2DBA = 98/99 2.5L a/t awd outback

TZ1A2ZJEBA = 99 (late) 2.5 a/t awd outback; the 4th A is different, new gen of trans????????

TZ1A4ZCCA = 2000 2.5 a/t awd outback; another change yet again

in addition the gt's and the lsi have different model numbers... the obw and sus have different rear ends and gearing... the long and short of it is , lots of trans mission will bolt right on, but the computers may not be happy and they wiring may be different. so get one that matches.

i have put this info together through my onnw reasearch, and it may not be entirely accurate.

john

bump