Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Big bang.....Smoke, is she kaput?

Hey all just hoping for a bit o friendly advice. Started my 89 suby dl 4x4 wagon and a bang sound came from under the hood and a puff of smoke followed!! The car starts but there are very loud rapping noises coming fromn the engine, it kind of sounds like a lawnmower, but it will rev up. I know I needed a valve job, for instance when I would get the car on a slant blue smoke would start billowing out of the exhaust pipe ( I think that was the valves). The engine is very loud and rough sounding now, and there is definately a metal tpo metal sound.

If I pull the spare tire out and pop off the little timing belt cover could I tell if the belt is shot?

Thanks for any advice!!!

If I pull the spare tire out and pop off the little timing belt cover could I tell if the belt is shot?

Oh My God! I hate "Big Bangs" on Engines... :mad: Well... I`m Almost sure that it wasn`t a timin` belt, due to the fact that the engine starts...

I`m almost sure that your engine got a valve problem... but there is a small chance to that to be a Head Problem too...

Long time ago, my dad did "Blow" one head, accidentally crackin` it by puttin fresh -very Fresh- Water on the engine that was overheatin` due to a blown head gasket that was evaporatin` the water out from the engine...

A Cracked Head do exactly the same situation that you have... but I hope that is not your engine situation... I think it`s just a Valve`s Issue.

I Suggest stop tryin` to run that engine like that, and check valve system...

Good Luck! :)

Just start checking from the beginning. Something should show up as really, really obvious.

Pull the timing belt inspection covers, see if the belts are intact. If the passenger's side belt breaks, the engine will run on two cylinders, and sound like a lawnmower, be way down on power, etc. Fortunately, the EA82 is a non-interferance engine, so the valves won't contact the pistons. New timing belts and you're good. This doesn't explain the metal-on-metal sound, though.

My next step if the belts are intact would be to do a compression test, make sure all the cylinders/valves are doing what they're supposed to.

Beyond that... if nothing's obvious, you might need to tear into it a bit. I suspect one of those two will show you something, though.

-=Russ=-