Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Picked up my new car today: 78 DL

What a great day! :banana: I love Subarus both 4x4 and 4x2 so when that 78 DL 2-Door Sedan came on the forum, I had to snap it up.

Picked up the car in Long Beach in the morning and had a perfect afternoon driving down the PCH back home to San Diego. Just me, my dog Lou and the Subie. The car hummed along the whole way. Windows down, sun going from bright white to a ruddy-gold and an awesome ocean breeze the whole way. Life in Cali doesn't get any better than this.

The car still needs a name, though. I'll be posting a want-list soon for various things needed to get it into tip-top shape. Still learning alot about these cars so any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at my pics and let me know what you think!

Bryan and Lou

RE:sweet car man!what are it's plans? was that this one? if so, nice score:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ad.php?t=58534

Yup, that's the car. I am going to restore it back to show room condition and just use it as a fun weekend driver. Its really nice and it shouldnt take too long to get that "brochure gleem" back in its eyes.. I think it needs the pinstripe white wall tires and a Subaru stripe along the rocker.

Thanks for the comments!

BT

What could possibly be needed to be done to it to restore it? It's already f'ing beautiful!! I say leave it original.

Nice score man! I'm jealous! :banana:

Thanks, man- I'll keep it original; just gotta fix a few interior parts and give it a really thorough cleaning. I love that color! BT

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! I downloaded all the pics!

I have the matching color, 2WD, automatic, 1978 wagon!! (Maybe one day they can be side by side!)

Now when I come visit, can I take it a run around the block??

Stay in touch man!

Todd

Hey Todd- Yes, you can drive it anytime you want. Feel free to call us on your next trip to SD- We've got a great guest room with its own deck that you are welcome to use, anytime.

Now all the car needs is its little Texan Wagon buddy.

Talk to you soon!

BT

PS: The car is currenlty at a company that does super-thorough automotive cleaning for us at Nissan. Its up on jacks with its interior out and its wheels off to the powder-coaters.

Great score!

I added your request list to our "Wish List" thread in the Historic Forum.

I know you're a busy guy and probably don't do much yard hopping,but please consider printing our wish lists and keeping the rest of the community in mind when scouring parts.Especially if you start making some calls to older dealerships to check for any old stock.;)

Might be able to help you on a few items.Right now my life is in storage.:-\

Great score!

I added your request list to our "Wish List" thread in the Historic Forum.

I know you're a busy guy and probably don't do much yard hopping,but please consider printing our wish lists and keeping the rest of the community in mind when scouring parts.Especially if you start making some calls to older dealerships to check for any old stock.;)

Might be able to help you on a few items.Right now my life is in storage.:-\

Thanks for the add. I will definitely print the list and refer to it. I know that right now there are three wagons in my favorite yard. They are rust free and approximately 1981-1985. I'll take a look at the list and see if anything is a match. Let me know if you pull anything out of storage that I can use.

Take care- BT

Those '80-84's are next to enter vintage status.Infact you can register an '80 or '81 here right now with no title and need no real inspection,as "antique".

Could use a nice center emblem/badge from a 4-spoke steering wheel.I think you can find the badge I want on most GL's from '80-84.The car I need it for is an '82 GLF "coupe".The steering wheel is light brown and the center badge is blue.I want the center badge in mint condition though.;) The rest of the interior is really sweet in this car.Only has 38 or 39k....turns classic come January!:headbang: And I'm already emission'd for life.:D

If you come across a rustfree "coupe" that's got the fivespeed manual in it please let me know.

I do intend to do some sort of voo doo dance or something with my storage before I actually move.I'm probably going to have to go deep into the mass just to pull out some items I should have never buried.:banghead:

All I can say is stay tuned.

Those '80-84's are next to enter vintage status.Infact you can register an '80 or '81 here right now with no title and need no real inspection,as "antique".

Could use a nice center emblem/badge from a 4-spoke steering wheel.I think you can find the badge I want on most GL's from '80-84.The car I need it for is an '82 GLF "coupe".The steering wheel is light brown and the center badge is blue.I want the center badge in mint condition though.;) The rest of the interior is really sweet in this car.Only has 38 or 39k....turns classic come January!:headbang: And I'm already emission'd for life.:D

If you come across a rustfree "coupe" that's got the fivespeed manual in it please let me know.

I do intend to do some sort of voo doo dance or something with my storage before I actually move.I'm probably going to have to go deep into the mass just to pull out some items I should have never buried.:banghead:

All I can say is stay tuned.

Awesome! I'll do my nest to get over there this weekend and look at the eighties Subs for your badge and tranny. Those early 80's cars have been popping up alot in the SD yards lately so if its not in this crop, it will be in one of the next. Just to clarify, is the GLF Coupe a coupe in the traditional sense (2-door, no B pillar) or is it a hatch or sedan kinda like my car? I am having a hard time picturing it. BT

WOW!! where was that hiding? never saw it anywhere in town

what a beauty:slobber:

-mike

Howdy! Thanks for you PM- I would love to see more pics of the 74 and 75. That red 74 is just so charming with that swoopy belt line dipping right through both doors. LOVE IT!! There was a guy on Ebay Australia that had one with hubcaps. I looked into shipping it but then I found my 2-door closer to home. He was willing to sell just the hubcaps, so you might want to send him a message- He is a super nice guy and his name is Luke. Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4643392306&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&rd=1

Hey Bryan, I'm curious...

Your car is 100% legal to drive right? I've been under the impression that cars only have to meet the emissions regulations that were in effect when your car was built, so even though your car doesn't even have a cat and only has SEEC-T stuff, it's still grandfathered in right?

Hey Bryan, I'm curious...

Your car is 100% legal to drive right? I've been under the impression that cars only have to meet the emissions regulations that were in effect when your car was built, so even though your car doesn't even have a cat and only has SEEC-T stuff, it's still grandfathered in right?

As far as I know, yes. I've never had problems registering my 75, 76, and 89 Nissan/Datsuns. This is a California car as well so it should be fine. Its at the mechanic's today getting tested and tuned so I will know more tomorrow- I'll keep you posted....

BT

Thanks for looking,Bryan.

The GLF is technically a "Hardtop",but everyone calls it a coupe.

Here's a dark and mysterious photo of the elegant "Lucky le Coupe".:-p

128Connie_s_Party_021.jpg

128Connie_s_Party_001.jpg

No real pillar at the window junction.The rear larger window is power,up and down,not the hinged "pop out" type.

The rearmost glass is stationary.

Thanks for looking,Bryan.

The GLF is technically a "Hardtop",but everyone calls it a coupe.

Here's a dark and mysterious photo of the elegant "Lucky le Coupe".:-p

128Connie_s_Party_021.jpg

128Connie_s_Party_001.jpg

No real pillar at the window junction.The rear larger window is power,up and down,not the hinged "pop out" type.

The rearmost glass is stationary.

That thing is COOOL! I've never seen those wheels; very modern. I can't wait to see what you do with that yellow GL- I was laughing aloud earlier about the idea of washing it in freezing cold against all logic... I've been there myself, but growing up in Phoenix, it usually had to do with driving around in excruciating heat with no A/C, sitting on molten vinyl seats just for the pleasure of being in some seventies car... I can RELATE!:headbang:

• 3 weeks later...

See I am slow...Paulyburger..those pics of Lucky look gorgous...OH! Thats right it was right after I washed and waxed her;) ..and thats my beloved Bucky behind her...and Jessies Brat....OK we need to have another cook out soon!Great! Now I miss Lucky and I have room for her...hint hint

OH!! Congrats on 78..I am jealous..I miss having my project car:(

• 2 weeks later...