Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Memorial Weekend camping with some Jeepers.

TheSubaruJunkie

Every year I get together with my parents neigbor. Ive known him since I moved here, and it seems every Memorial Day Weekend we head out to the woods to camp. These are seasoned campers, usually 4 or 5 familys and every year is a blast.

Dave (the neigbor) has a CJ7 locked and geared down. His buddy showed up this year with his lifted cruiser, locked, 38's, V8 etc etc and even a toyota was there (beadlockers, 35's, complete custom cage and everything). Last year was fun, cause I showed up with my lifted wagon. Of course, i got razzed a bunch, but as soon as we hit the trails I pretty much shut them all up.

This year was different since I didnt have my lifted wagon. All I had was the hatch, stock except for cut fenders and my bumper and rack. Still alittle razzing, but that didnt stop me from going out with them to go find some snow.

The hatch didnt do to bad. Street tires really suck, expecially on some of this mud we had. And as long as I had momentum, the snow wasnt a big deal either. Although, my tow strap got plenty of use, there was one chance I got to pull the Cruiser :)

DSC00842.jpg

The Jeep could have pulled him out even easier, but the yota wasnt stuck that bad. Just didnt have the momentum to carry him through the drift and I only have to give a few tugs to get him going. After that we hit up a old mining operation, where there were plenty of hills and mud to play in.

DSC00849.jpg

If i had some tread on my tires I would have tried this... but being stock I opted to stay on dry land.

DSC00846.jpg

We played alittle in the mud, i had to get pulled out of a hole... i wasnt stuck, just couldnt make it up the incline with my tires full of peanut butter. Swampers should fix that, whenever i get them.

On the way back to camp, i even got a chance to use my roof rack finally! Its not just for show.

DSC00850.jpg

Definatly a great weekend. I did come home with some damage however... i lost the rear drivers side mud flap, slightly bent the bottom of my bumper, and my front passenger CV is toasted. Still worth it, now time to increase the clearance and get some tread!

-Brian

Thats me pulling him. His gearing is WAY low... like 172:1 ratio, so when he was free'd of the snow it wasnt that easy to pull anymore. Was still fun, and we got to razz him the rest of the night "HAHA You got pulled out by a Subaru!"

Next year I will be lifted, and the pictures will be alittle better. But the scenery was great, and provided some good shots :)

DSC00852.jpg

-Brian

Doesnt look yellow to me, but im slightly color blind so i dunno. That pond is heavily overgrown with lilliepads, underwater weeds and algae. Probably contributes to the color of the water... and probably the reason I didnt catch any fish out of it. Oh well, still made for good scenery.

OHH!!! The Mud crossing! Thats from all the mud the jeepers kicked up. Not sure why its that color, that area was the old mining operation and its full of decomposed granite. Probably why its slightly yellow. I tried that crossing last year with my lifted wagon and made it. Next year i'll attempt it again!

-Brian

I didn't go with any Jeepers, but I went with my roomies who were going all sorts of places with their Bombardier ATV. Not only did I go on trails, but I decided to literally just go THROUGH THE WOODS as well, between trees and such, where there was no form of a trail. That was.. Um, amazing I made it through. It's on my grandmother's land, so I didn't have to worry about pissing someone off by knocking over stuff...

SubyNoobieSplash.jpg