Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cam Case o-rings.... are these them? EA82

Well for those of you who have torn into an EA82, you know those o-rings that go in between the cam case and and heads? One per side, located toward the top IIRC. I'm looking at replacing those while the engine is apart and was wondering if these are them?

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/wizard.jsp?year=1989&make=SU&model=LOY-4WDT-001&category=All&part=Cam%20Housing%20O-Ring&dp=false

Thanks!

I just purchased six camshaft o-rings for my EA-82 from Rocket seals (an o-ring supplier in Denver) and paid about 60 cents each for them. If you get down to Denver in the near future, you might want to look them up or they may sent them to you. I just took one of my old ones in and they matched it up. BTW because they are metric, most auto supply houses don't have them.

Well for those of you who have torn into an EA82, you know those o-rings that go in between the cam case and and heads? One per side, located toward the top IIRC. I'm looking at replacing those while the engine is apart and was wondering if these are them?

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/wizard.jsp?year=1989&make=SU&model=LOY-4WDT-001&category=All&part=Cam%20Housing%20O-Ring&dp=false

Thanks!

to answer your question..thats them,,you can use almost any o-ring that is with in 1 mm to the original....so dont be to fussy about paying $4.16 or there abouts...you can buy them for around 1 cent each.....go to a plumbing shop or simular/hardware store etc..you,ll come across some place that has a whole stack,your size...and are just itching to sell some..:D ..cheers

The correct o-ring (yes - that is the one) is not really an "o-ring" at all. It's a metal washer with rubber molded around it. While you can indeed use a regular o-ring, the metal is there to resist the "flattening" effect that a regular thickness rubber ring would have. Less rubber = less flattening as the seal ages. Personally I wouldn't use "just" an o-ring. Again - it's not that it won't work - it's that it won't work for the usual lifeime of the OEM part.

GD

they are on the bottom, but that doesn't really matter.

do not buy a generic o-ring for this part. like GD said this is not a normal o-ring at all. i have seen (and posted the pic even) someone re-use an old one with sealant. the sealant got sucked up into the oil passages and caused oil supply problems to that side valve train. the same could happen with a normal o-ring.

the good news is that the partsbin o-ring is indeed the right part. thepartsbin is the only aftermarket supplier i've seen that carries this (one reason i'm impressed with them). Subaru sells them for $2.10 each i believe. alot for an o-ring. but it's not a normal o-ring and it's still less than $5 for the two you need, so no point in trying to be cheap about this one. i've bought tons of them from Subaru, i usually keep a few on hand.

Rocket Seals doesn't sell "cheep" o-rings. Their primary market is the hydraulic market rebuilding hydraulic cylinders. This is a MUCH more severe application than in an automotive engine. I'm sure their o-rings are at least as good as oem Subaru or most likely a lot better.

Rocket Seals doesn't sell "cheep" o-rings.
noone has used the word "cheap" or said anything about this place. we're making sure that people know the cam shaft o-rings in question here aren't really o-rings in the typical sense. they have metal in them, orings do not. there are alot of seals/o-rings on the cam carrier, best to make sure we're talking about the right ones. are you talking about the ones between the cam carrier and the head? were the ones you got metal?

Yes I'm talking about the area between the cam carrier and the head. I just replaced my original non leaking o-rings with dimensionally identical o-rings when I replaced my timing belts. Maybe I'm missing something here but if there isn't any movement between the parts, and there isn't here, then any additional metal would actually be a detriment to sealing in my way of thinking.

I think I may have opened mouth, inserted foot or maybe opened computer........ oh well, anyway, I was talking about the o-ring between the camshaft support and the case. Next time I'll think twice before responding. Sorry for the confusion.

Rocket Seals doesn't sell "cheep" o-rings. Their primary market is the hydraulic market rebuilding hydraulic cylinders. This is a MUCH more severe application than in an automotive engine. I'm sure their o-rings are at least as good as oem Subaru or most likely a lot better.

Also - while hydraulics are a severe application, the cam case o-rings are subjected to more heat than a typical hydraulic system, and engine oil usually has trace amounts of fuel solvents dissolved in it as well. A regular o-ring will flatten out, harden, and possibly crack and get sucked into the oil passage - causeing all sorts of damage in the process. EA82 lifters already have a tendancy to tick loudly if you make a funny face at them - lets not make the problem worse with incorrect oil seals....

Lets see..... save ~$4.... or spend $5 and have the correct part.... your call.

GD

• 4 weeks later...

Woh. I just found those OEM O-Rings for $1.61 a piece at RockAuto.. click here you just need to do a parts search for #A4002-56062. The thing is you have to buy 10, which makes it $16.10 plus shipping. Better than $4 something.

I know this is an old thread, but I don't think it's :horse:. (HAH I've always wanted to use that!)

-Justin.

RockAuto .. you're likely to get some "cheap" and/or "generic" Maybe you guys have had some success with them.. but IMO rockauto SUCKS.

Woh. I just found those OEM O-Rings for $1.61 a piece at RockAuto.. click here you just need to do a parts search for #A4002-56062. The thing is you have to buy 10, which makes it $16.10 plus shipping. Better than $4 something.

I know this is an old thread, but I don't think it's :horse:. (HAH I've always wanted to use that!)

-Justin.

in this case it's an OEM part. Subaru OEM parts are outsourced to various companies. in some cases these parts are available through other (non OEM) sources.

i can't stand the rockauto website. it's rediculously inefficient. look up the XT6 and it shows 4 cylinder parts all over the place...i don't know what the point is of drilling down if it's going to list 4 cylinder parts for a 6 cylinder vehicle. no other site does that......

okay i'm done.