Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FT4WD tranny trouble...noise!!

WJM

Ok, first issue...on de-accel, with engine dragging or not, there is this rumbling sound/feel to the whole car. I cannot locate it. It's almost a grinding rumble at higher speeds. It goes away below 30mph. It shifts like new, and everything feels right about it except on the de-accel!! On accell and cruising, there is no such feel/sound.

Ok, issue numba 2...I just found out this is an extreamly rare trans out of an XT (ot maybe the XT with this config is extreamly rare?). An XT Turbo with FT4WD. With the spyder intake too!! I have located the complete engine too...minus turbo mind you. Does anyone know the final drive ratio on the XT Turbo FT4WD trans? I orginally got two XT6 FT4WD trans for the conversion, and I got a 3.70 rear diff form my parts car (XT turbo, 1986, 5spd but with air suspension!)...and later traded it for a 3.90 to match the XT6's FT4WD trans...since this second one (first one has the shift forks in the trans messed up) is out of an 87 or better XT Turbo w/FT4WD, I dont know what the ratio may be? 3.70 maybe???????

And dont tell me to find the car and look under it...its gone already:madder: Bummer. It was a vitim of Rust and several 9MM bullets. (not my doing tho)

If no one knows the ratio, how could I tell if its actually a 3.90 or 3.70 trans?

uh, yeah.

that might be them moving around, unhappy.

I was going to say, it sounds like nothing like a tranny issue... maybe like something about your idling stuff (don't know about FI fuel systems much, but if it were carbed I would say, check your idle mixture.)

idling? Well, i tihnk that goes out the window here...on the way home yesterday, I was going down hill, and turned the engine off and put in the neutral...no engine noice, but plenty of some other noise....Im going to knock those pins in. I hope thats it.