Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SOHC or DOHC???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zbrink

zbrink

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Springfield, IL

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

My G/F has a 99' Forester that I am going to do some maintenance on here shortly. She has the car with her out of town and I am trying to gather parts right now. I never checked to see if it was a SOHC OR DOHC? She has a fairly base model non-turbo that was purchased new in Illinois so I am assuming it is a 2.5L. Which would it be? :confused: Thanks!

#2 TheYeti

TheYeti

Carp in Denim!

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Arvada

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

My G/F has a 99' Forester that I am going to do some maintenance on here shortly. She has the car with her out of town and I am trying to gather parts right now. I never checked to see if it was a SOHC OR DOHC? She has a fairly base model non-turbo that was purchased new in Illinois so I am assuming it is a 2.5L. Which would it be? :confused: Thanks!

The '99 should be a SOHC 2.5l

#3 svxpert

svxpert

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:17 PM

have her send you the vin to check on the year to be sure.

#4 970subaru

970subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

it will be easy to tell just by looking at the plastic timing belt covers...

#5 zbrink

zbrink

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Springfield, IL

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:01 PM

it will be easy to tell just by looking at the plastic timing belt covers...

I don't have the car around guys nor is she in the position to look at the owner's manual or under the hood. Does anyone simply know the facts of that year?

99' Forester, non-turbo, A/T, very base in options. Thanks!

#6 kimokalihi

kimokalihi

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Tenino

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

Well the vin is in the dash, isn't it? Shouldn't be too hard for her to find.

#7 zbrink

zbrink

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Springfield, IL

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

Well the vin is in the dash, isn't it? Shouldn't be too hard for her to find.

Even if I get the VIN, how do I decifer it in terms of SOHC or DOHC. Can't anyone else tell me their best educated guess based on the info I have provided so far?

#8 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:59 PM

If it's a 99 and in America it's SOHC.

#9 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,323 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:00 PM

this is a guess so don't rely on it. i don't think they changed the 2.5 until 2000, so my guess would be dohc. but i don't own a 99, mines a 97. you need to talk to a 99 owner. or call the dealer.

maybe you could go to "autozone.com" put in 99 forester and search for a timing belt part number. then search the same part for other years. there is going to be a difference between single and double. if your part number works on a 97 then it's double . not perfect but ....

Even if I get the VIN, how do I decifer it in terms of SOHC or DOHC. Can't anyone else tell me their best educated guess based on the info I have provided so far?

#10 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:02 PM

not on Foresters. They got the SOHC in 99. The Legacy Outback got it in 2000 in the US. The only reason I have a 99 Forester was to avoid the DOHC in the 98s.

#11 970subaru

970subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:02 PM

yeah werent there the last DOHC's and the first SOHC's in 1999?

#12 cannonball

cannonball

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Greenville

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:55 AM

Cookie's right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users