Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings, been lurking here for awhile but finally made the big dive, got my first Subaru, 99 Outback Wagon with 70K ($6500). I thought it was a great deal :brow: . It has had damage in the rear but seems tight. Anyway yesterday the clutch pedal started only coming about halfway back up after shifting, cruise wouldn't work because pedal was not engaging safety switch. I could lift the pedal with my toe and it would "thump" and return back to normal position. A little trouble getting it into gear and it popped out of reverse on me once. Today it seemed to work fine returning to normal position and no trouble getting into gear. Any advice on what the problem may be????:confused: Thanks

Anyway yesterday the clutch pedal started only coming about halfway back up after shifting, cruise wouldn't work because pedal was not engaging safety switch. I could lift the pedal with my toe and it would "thump" and return back to normal position.

Fellow Minnesotan! heya!

So I'm still in the shopping phase, but I've had similar issues with 2 other vehicles.

Sounds like you could have air in your clutch line. Its been getting hot in MN, which, IMHO, acerbates the problem as the heat makes the air bubbles expand. So bleeding the clutch could be a good first step.

Try pumping the pedal; does it get firmer as you work the clutch? If so, odds are good that you have an air bubble.

Otherwise, you could have issues with your master or slave clutch cylinder, and may need to replace the part.

Now, keep in mind I'm relating solutions that deal with different cars; Subarus could use springs instead of fluid lines to engage the clutch, so see what other have to say.

i always thought cruise control was only for automatics

sorry the best advise i can give you is take it apart and see whats sticking....but who wants to do that?

EDIT: after reading the above statement i realize that you have a hydrolic clutch....and i still cant help you, but he can :)

Greetings, been lurking here for awhile but finally made the big dive, got my first Subaru, 99 Outback Wagon with 70K ($6500). I thought it was a great deal :brow: . It has had damage in the rear but seems tight. Anyway yesterday the clutch pedal started only coming about halfway back up after shifting, cruise wouldn't work because pedal was not engaging safety switch. I could lift the pedal with my toe and it would "thump" and return back to normal position. A little trouble getting it into gear and it popped out of reverse on me once. Today it seemed to work fine returning to normal position and no trouble getting into gear. Any advice on what the problem may be????:confused: Thanks
[ATTACH]3926[/ATTACH]

Check out the attachment . subaru has a fix

SEA#3

I read the TSB and replaced the Subaru reccomended parts for the same problem. It was not right yet as I did not have enough pressure from the master. After replacing the master too it has been a couple of years with no furthur problems.

Had the same problem on other cars...

Usuallt ends up being the master. Dump some brake fluid into it. See if it leaks back out. If it does...not cool. Start your inspection with the master cylinder and work your way around the other parts.

(But quite frequently this ends up being a master/slave cylinder problem.)

Hope you get it worked out! :burnout:

I found another fix, remove the return assy that Subaru has installed, its to the left of the pedal assy. You will see when it operates, it reduces the pedal force needed to operate the clutch.

It consists of a plunger spring and cam. Its a silly design.

Pull it off and hit the hardware store for a 6" spring. Hook it to the clutch pedal an to the metal structur of the dash. Works great light clutch force and positive return. Make sure its clearing everything as it operates.

About $3.00 and its fixed.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...