Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

when was last 2.2l automatic wagon legacy made

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 johnd911

johnd911

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Buffalo

Posted 28 October 2003 - 09:23 PM

I'm a regular poster here, My 93 legacy wagon just hit 328,000 without ever having the engine apart (just timing belt stuff). I DO NOT want a 2.5l, no way will they last this long without a bunch of head gaskets..... I've seen differing opinions on when the last 2.2 l legacy auto was made. An outback would be nice, but I keep all my subarus till over 300k and I don't think this head gasket stuff can be avoided with that kind of mileage (I drive 1000 miles a week). It seems that my choices are limited to a 95 legacy at the latest in order to get a 2.2l automatic. Is this correct? There are 96 and 97 brightons, but I don't think they are 2.2's. Am I correct in avoiding the 2.5's from 95 and 96 and 97? there are a bunch of Outbacks for under 6 grand in the autotrader web page, but I don't think they can hold a candle to my 93's reliablity. We are talking having it last to 400,000, which i have gotten on another 2.2 and am on my way with my current 93. AM I WRONG.... thanks
I'm kinda leary about getting a pre 98 outback with 150,000 and under. this kind of mileage on a well kept 2.2 is nothing, at least with my experience. FEEDBACK please.. this 2.5 reliability vs. 2.2 reliability seems to have some substance

#2 lsr3177

lsr3177

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Western Washington

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:28 PM

My wife has a '97 legacy L wagon with the 2.2 liter. She purchased it used a few years ago and is happy with it. No problems with it at 88,000 miles currently. I enjoy driving it as well. It handles differently than my '98 Outback. She does enjoy the little bit of extra power of the Outback when the need arises. She does have automatic in her legacy also. She got tired of the weak performance of our old Nissan 4x4 pickup. So at 248,000 miles she gave it up. That old truck never did burn oil and probably will run for a long time yet.

#3 johnd911

johnd911

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Buffalo

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:40 PM

you mean that there are still reliable 2.2's up to 97 (automatic, non outback, legacy wagons). I thought that the 2.5's took over. If i can still find a 97 with a 2.2, automatic and a wagon, I'll look as late as 97. there is an ebay dealer listing a 99 legacy wagon with a 2.2 that's an automatic. Was there such a thing? at least I know that I can look as late as 97. Anyone out there know for sure? thanks again

#4 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:47 PM

This site has all of the details on different model years.

I have a 97 Legacy Sedan with a EJ22 and a 4 spd auto. By the end of the week I will have 170,000 on it. It is driven HARD everyday, and the only repair other than maintenance items has been an oil-pump replacement.

#5 johnd911

johnd911

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Buffalo

Posted 28 October 2003 - 11:19 PM

the site says that a 99 legacy has something called a phase II 2.2l. What the heck is that? is it as bulletproof as the previous 2.2's

#6 Syd

Syd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Qu├ębec

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:18 PM

At least in Canada, Legacies that are not Outback or GT have the EJ22 engine until the MY99 included.

From the MY2000, ALL of them have the EJ25 engine.

Syd

#7 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 30 October 2003 - 05:04 AM

Phase II has solid valve lifters, which need adjusting every 60k I believe.

The US Postal service kept the Gen2 Legacy in production for up til about a year ago, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side - to help them get straight onto the sidewalk. Maybe they will be up for grabs soon?

(Source CAR Magazine's GBU)

#8 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 31 October 2003 - 02:28 AM

The phase II 2.2 should not have solid lifters. The phase II should have come out in 97. They have a redeigned intake that has an extra 5-10hp. The motor is just as reliable as the old 2.2

One note about the 99. In mid 99, they started putting the newer redesigned 2.5 in all the Legacys. You can get a old body style Legacy with the newer redesigned 2.5 (in Legacy and Outback models)

So the only full year of 2.2 would be a 98. And I have owned a 98 Legacy 2.2 AWD Auto Wagon. I have also worked on one 99 2.2 Auto, and two 99 2.5 Autos.

Richierich
SIR, Inc

#9 dtate

dtate

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • North Carolina

Posted 31 October 2003 - 06:58 AM

I have a 97 OBS with a 2.2l, automatic with 139,000 miles. Other than piston slap, engine seems go to go.

#10 mnorton

mnorton

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Alberta

Posted 01 November 2003 - 01:08 PM

This URL may give some insight to the changes in Subaru engines in 97. Check out the section Engine (9 items down).

http://www.ravensbla...cs/pdf/pdf.html

Originally posted by richierich
The phase II 2.2 should not have solid lifters. The phase II should have come out in 97. They have a redeigned intake that has an extra 5-10hp. The motor is just as reliable as the old 2.2

One note about the 99. In mid 99, they started putting the newer redesigned 2.5 in all the Legacys. You can get a old body style Legacy with the newer redesigned 2.5 (in Legacy and Outback models)

So the only full year of 2.2 would be a 98. And I have owned a 98 Legacy 2.2 AWD Auto Wagon. I have also worked on one 99 2.2 Auto, and two 99 2.5 Autos.

Richierich
SIR, Inc

#11 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,656 posts
  • Texas

Posted 01 November 2003 - 05:11 PM

Thank you mnorton!
I learned a lot at that site!

0 user(s) are reading this topic