Ultimate Subaru Message Board

when was last 2.2l automatic wagon legacy made

I'm a regular poster here, My 93 legacy wagon just hit 328,000 without ever having the engine apart (just timing belt stuff). I DO NOT want a 2.5l, no way will they last this long without a bunch of head gaskets..... I've seen differing opinions on when the last 2.2 l legacy auto was made. An outback would be nice, but I keep all my subarus till over 300k and I don't think this head gasket stuff can be avoided with that kind of mileage (I drive 1000 miles a week). It seems that my choices are limited to a 95 legacy at the latest in order to get a 2.2l automatic. Is this correct? There are 96 and 97 brightons, but I don't think they are 2.2's. Am I correct in avoiding the 2.5's from 95 and 96 and 97? there are a bunch of Outbacks for under 6 grand in the autotrader web page, but I don't think they can hold a candle to my 93's reliablity. We are talking having it last to 400,000, which i have gotten on another 2.2 and am on my way with my current 93. AM I WRONG.... thanks

I'm kinda leary about getting a pre 98 outback with 150,000 and under. this kind of mileage on a well kept 2.2 is nothing, at least with my experience. FEEDBACK please.. this 2.5 reliability vs. 2.2 reliability seems to have some substance

My wife has a '97 legacy L wagon with the 2.2 liter. She purchased it used a few years ago and is happy with it. No problems with it at 88,000 miles currently. I enjoy driving it as well. It handles differently than my '98 Outback. She does enjoy the little bit of extra power of the Outback when the need arises. She does have automatic in her legacy also. She got tired of the weak performance of our old Nissan 4x4 pickup. So at 248,000 miles she gave it up. That old truck never did burn oil and probably will run for a long time yet.

you mean that there are still reliable 2.2's up to 97 (automatic, non outback, legacy wagons). I thought that the 2.5's took over. If i can still find a 97 with a 2.2, automatic and a wagon, I'll look as late as 97. there is an ebay dealer listing a 99 legacy wagon with a 2.2 that's an automatic. Was there such a thing? at least I know that I can look as late as 97. Anyone out there know for sure? thanks again

Phase II has solid valve lifters, which need adjusting every 60k I believe.

The US Postal service kept the Gen2 Legacy in production for up til about a year ago, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side - to help them get straight onto the sidewalk. Maybe they will be up for grabs soon?

(Source CAR Magazine's GBU)

The phase II 2.2 should not have solid lifters. The phase II should have come out in 97. They have a redeigned intake that has an extra 5-10hp. The motor is just as reliable as the old 2.2

One note about the 99. In mid 99, they started putting the newer redesigned 2.5 in all the Legacys. You can get a old body style Legacy with the newer redesigned 2.5 (in Legacy and Outback models)

So the only full year of 2.2 would be a 98. And I have owned a 98 Legacy 2.2 AWD Auto Wagon. I have also worked on one 99 2.2 Auto, and two 99 2.5 Autos.

Richierich

SIR, Inc

This URL may give some insight to the changes in Subaru engines in 97. Check out the section Engine (9 items down).

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/techdocs/pdf/pdf.html

Originally posted by richierich

The phase II 2.2 should not have solid lifters. The phase II should have come out in 97. They have a redeigned intake that has an extra 5-10hp. The motor is just as reliable as the old 2.2

One note about the 99. In mid 99, they started putting the newer redesigned 2.5 in all the Legacys. You can get a old body style Legacy with the newer redesigned 2.5 (in Legacy and Outback models)

So the only full year of 2.2 would be a 98. And I have owned a 98 Legacy 2.2 AWD Auto Wagon. I have also worked on one 99 2.2 Auto, and two 99 2.5 Autos.

Richierich

SIR, Inc