Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone

I just bought a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback with 86,000 well looked after

miles. It is a wagon and it is fully loaded with the exception of leather

and CD. I paid $10,000 US (hope I didn't pay too much).

I bought the car because I have heard so many good things about it and being

a former 4 time AMC Eagle owner it reminded me so much of my Eagle Wagons.

I am very impressed with the car and it seems to come with so many little

goodies that a lot of other cars don't.

It sure is peppy for a 4 cyclinder (even more so than V6 domestic cars I

have owned).

My questions are :

1. Can this thing be serviced at a regular Garage (Joe's garage etc). or

does it have to go to the Subaru dealer and are they expensive?

2. Are parts hard to get and expensive? The car was built in Indiana but

does that make the parts American made etc?

3. Will this car get me 300,000 + miles like the other Japanese cars? (I

have an old toyota with 388,000 on the same motor never been rebuilt)

4. Can anyone offer me any tips or advice for my future ownership of this

vehicle?

Any comments are greatly appreciated

thank you

I saw your thread several days ago and was going to reply, but I thought a whole pile of others would have done so...but they didn't....so I will. I can't say whether you paid too much since Canadian prices vary so much to yours, but it sounds reasonable.

I had a 97 OBW LTD that I put 122 000 kms on with few problems. It did develop a piston slap which goes with the 2.5 Phase 1 beast. On cold days in particular the engine would slap piston # 4 (I think ) for the first 3 minutes until the engine warmed up and the noise disappeared, because the piston had expanded to fit the cylinder. I've researched the problem extensively to learn that it is only an annoyance, and will not hurt anything other than to shorten engine life by a very small amount. (I believe the Phase 2 engine corrected the problem with the 2000 model?) Ocassionally people have complained about head gaskets going, not an experience I have had but worth keeping in mind. Rear wheel bearings seem to go more often, not a real expensive item, but keep alert for a howling/roar developing that changes pitch at speed, when taking curves as opposed to driving straight ahead. An upscale service garage can service the beast (check first to be sure), but not the corner garage, unless he specifically services Subarus. Dealers know the car, but shop them to find a technician who talks straight and knows his stuff. I've used 2 different ones and have settled with the one who takes the time to explain what needs to be done to the car. ( Normally most imports have the water pump changed at the same time you replace the timing belt. This guy said they didn't suggest changing them until the 2nd timing belt replacement because their experience showed they lasted at least that long.) Parts don't seem to be any more expensive than anyone else, save for Porsche, BMW, Rolls Royce, Jaguar. You can expect the car to last as long or longer than your Toyota if serviced as needed. Things to watch for...bubbles in the paint=rust in the leading edge of the hood. Shoot some oil in there now and you shouldn't have a problem. The mounting plate that the rear licence plate lights are attached to will rust long before anything else. You have to take the interior panels off the tailgate to get at it, removing the outside door handle as well. Sand blast, reprime and repaint it, or you could just buy a new one and install it. The rear hatch gas shocks will rust. I just wiped mine down with transmission fluid once a month. (It won't attack the rubber seals.) Winter ice grip tires (Bridgstone Blizzaks, etc.) take the white knuckles out of driving on an OutBack. Its like being Crazy Glued to the road. No more stop, but a lot more grip. The heater cluster bulbs will all burn out about the same time, and using the info on this forum, can be changed for minimal $ and a little/more than a little patience. Power antenna will stick if not lubed frequently. Fairly easy to fix if it jams, again through this forum. Take your brake pads out and clean and lube them every 6 months. Change and flush the brake fluid and coolant every 3 years. Saves big bills down the road. Enjoy the car! Welcome to the Sub fraternity. Great people here.

Originally posted by darrenandlouise

[My questions are :

1. Can this thing be serviced at a regular Garage (Joe's garage etc). or

does it have to go to the Subaru dealer and are they expensive?

Depends on where you live. In the snow belt most garages that work on Japanese cars work on Scubies. If not, you may have to seek out a more specialized garage. Ask the next Subaru owner you see! I prefer private garages because they charge you the actual time, not flat rate, so they do a better job.

2. Are parts hard to get and expensive? The car was built in Indiana but does that make the parts American made etc?

Depends on the part. All standard maintenance items seem reasonably priced, and the custom bits you have to get at a dealer seem outrageous for all cars.

• 8 months later...