Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy, All:

96 Legacy, 4D, power everything. Sunroof either flips up, or can be retracted to fully open. Flip up working. Retraction only "catches" once in a while. Motor works fine, because it moves back and forth ok when it decides to "catch" and open.

Neighbor said his car (non-Subie) just needed new cables. Dealership told me Subies need to replace the whole unit. Rats. Any other options open to me? Can't afford a new one at over $600!

Thanks for any help.

Not a Subaru, but about 10 years ago my wife had a Toyota Cressida that did the same thing. Sometimes the roof would slide open and then wouldn't close, or would flip up and then wouldn't close, or wouldn't open at all for 6 or 7 tries. The problem was the sunroof computer, which Toyota replaced two years after the car was off warranty, and on a second owner used car! I wrote a very nice letter to Toyota Customer Relations explaining the problem and they not only sent our local dealer the parts, they paid to have it installed. Two more things...the computers had a TBS and recall for the first 3 years (I found out much later) and I had suggested in my letter that their response to my sunroof problem would help me decide on my next car purchase within 6 months time. I was impressed with their response to say the least, which is why my wife bought another Cressida after that one, and a Lexus (Toyota) presently. Suggestions...try another computer if you can access one from a friend's car, junk yard?...try a nice letter like I did. Its worth a shot. Good luck!

:banana: Yahooo! Turns out the rubber around the glass roof was dry, catching on a part of the roof. Just pushed down at the center of glass (back) when sliding glass was closed, head a "pop", uncaught...and retracts just like new.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains...and glad I didn't send letter yet to Subaru.

:drunk: Beer-thirty! Drinks on me, all.