Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Beams INOP!

The high beams in my '94 Loyale Wagon are inop. I thought the problem was the bulbs as the one low beam did not work, and neither high beam worked. So, I changed the bulbs. Now, both low beams work and when you flip the high beams on nothing happens except the low beams go out. I do not get an indicator on the dash (for the highs)!

Please help, I need to get this issue taken care of for state inspection. I've already checked all the fuses under the steering column.

Thanks for any help.

On a side note. I have a feeling that a previous owner may have disconnected the high beams (intentionally or accidentally). Why, I do not know. BUT....so far I've reconnected the power seat belts, door dinger and some sensor under the hood.

I would say its a Grounding problem... I dont recall how exactly to fix it but I once had a 78 280z that did the same thing.. I recall taking a piece of wire splicing into another in back of the headlights and then grounding it to the frame and the light worked then...

Maybe some of the others could better tell you how to do it... Or if your not afraid to monkey with the wires try it out some.. Joe

Sorry I cant be a better help but I hope I pointed you in a helpful direction

fld, I have the wiring diagram for this, no indicator light on the dash - sure looks like the switch itself is at fault. I can give you the wires to test this under the steering col. email me if you want.

Be very careful with Cole's advise as Subarus use a different wiring system (they ground the filament, not the common terminal, as American cars do)

Thank you both for your help.

Skip, you were right on. It was the switch. I called the local Subaru dealer and they wanted $280 for the part. So, I went to this little u-pull yard and got one for $5. I couldn't find a switch with the intermittent wipers but everything else was the same.

P.S. The problem with the front marker light was a corroded contact. Subarus must use different bulbs than other cars. I replaced the LF light (#67 at Walmart) and its the exact same bulb but it is much dimmer than the other side. I don't know why but I remember having a similar problem with my SVX.

Thanks