Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just did the 2.5 to 2.2 engine swap in my 96 outback. this was the easiest damn engine swap ive ever done. it was almost a complete plug an play. the only things i changed were the bracket that held on my a/c compressor and and the fly wheel. i used an engine from a 95 legacy sedan with an auto tranny. the engine had 73k miles on it and i got it for 300 bucks on CL. other posts have talked about problems with the power steering lines, if you just disconect them down buy the cross memeber instead of at the pump there is no issuse. car runs great i get 25 mpg in town and 30+ on the highway, probaby would be a little better if i had a lighter foot. as for power loss as far as i can tell doesnt exist. i raced my friend in her 98 forrester from 0 to 75 and it was for argument sakes even the whole way. took it DEQ after wards to get new tags they pluged into it and it went right through with no problems. car runs and drives great and im alot happier with this engine that seems to be bullet proof then the pos 2.5 that was in it. I know there are other issues with different year engines but the 95 droped right in and only took me a few hours to pull the old motor change those couple things and drop the new one in. can answer any questions any one has regarding this swap. And if any one that lives in portland Oregon is looking for a car or knoww some one who is this one is for sale, and the whole car is super clean and super straight. $6000 obo:headbang::horse:

• 4 years later...

hello i blew my engine (2.5) in my 2000 outback 5 spd. a freind has in his garage a dohc 2.2 litre year unknown. does anyone know if this is relativley easy swap and what some of the problems may be? also are the crankshafts different from a auto to a 5SPD? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED ! i will post a photo of this unknown c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-2-2L-subaru-engine-W0QQAdIdZ239726193year 2.2 l to see if anyone knows what yr it is thx.

hello i blew my engine (2.5) in my 2000 outback 5 spd. a freind has in his garage a dohc 2.2 litre year unknown. does anyone know if this is relativley easy swap and what some of the problems may be? also are the crankshafts different from a auto to a 5SPD? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED ! i will post a photo of this unknown c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-2-2L-subaru-engine-W0QQAdIdZ239726193year 2.2 l to see if anyone knows what yr it is thx.

You don't have a 2.2 DOHC unless someone bolted DOHC heads onto a 2.2. They don't come from the factory like that except in the 22B...

That car has the phase2 engine/electrics so you'd need a phase2 ej22 to swap in.

He can't swap a phase2 ej25 into it though without a stupid amount of work.

The '00 Outbacks have EJ251 SOHC from factory. It would not be a swap, so yes he could put the EJ25 SOHC Phase II into his '00 Outback. The opposite is true in that you can't put any Phase I EJ25 into it, you wouldn't want to anwayz its a terrible engine.

Hey sorry for the confusion guys ! i found a 2001 ej25 from a manual car running with 180 thou on it for 400 bucks. now of course i want to do arp head studs and gaskets and maybe a timing belt b4 i slap it back in.anything else recomended when doing this swap ?motor mounts im guessing?

also does anyone know if could have used a 2002 auto engine?it only had 92000 on it for 5oo bucks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like phase II 2.5's. They're reliable and powerful. What did you "blow" on it?

hey guy i broke a wristpin i can hear a rod slapping against the cylinder wall. the knock sensor cut the motor but its probably hooped.

Auto and manual engines are the same, so yes. Either will work. I believe the phase2 all had EGR, so that's not an issue.

Before dropping it, do a reseal and timing belt. No need for new head bolts, people don't replace them and do fine. Subaru head gaskets only!!!!

Subaru thermostat, and replace all other gaskets and seals while you have the motor out. Do the timing belt, all idlers and new tensioner. While you have it off good time to do crank and cam seals. Reseal the rear separator plate, but DON'T do the rear main seal if it isn't leaking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like phase II 2.5's. They're reliable and powerful. What did you "blow" on it?

hey guy i broke a wristpin i can hear a rod slapping against the cylinder wall. the knock sensor cut the motor but its probably hooped.

If the rod came loose I doubt it was the knock sensor that cut the motor. It was probably the rod going through the block or something that cut the motor...

Hey sorry for the confusion guys ! i found a 2001 ej25 from a manual car running with 180 thou on it for 400 bucks. now of course i want to do arp head studs and gaskets and maybe a timing belt b4 i slap it back in.anything else recomended when doing this swap ?motor mounts im guessing?

also does anyone know if could have used a 2002 auto engine?it only had 92000 on it for 5oo bucks.

Mounts are optional, water pump if you must make sure it goes forever.. You might also want to do crank and cam seals.

IMHO, i would just slap it in with new timing (make sure u get the idlers and tensioner), and a new set of plugs if there is nothing wrong with it.. Check for oil and antifreeze around head gaskets/valve covers. Check around the cam shafts when you do the timing to make sure u dont need cam seals. Then i'd just run it. It might last you 20,000 or it might last you 200,000, but I've seen people spend loads of money doing all the gaskets and seals, and they throw a bearing a month later. If you want a new motor, buy one or do a rebuild, otherwise these motors are pretty cheap to buy and very easy to install. If you're paying too much for the swaps, find a cheaper more honest mechanic.

Other option is the '02 engine, which I have no clue if you can use it or not (i think you can, but i wouldn't take my word for it). The only issues i know of going between auto and manual is the flywheel, and sometimes theres a belt guide for the timing belt on the manuals. Somebody will have to elaborate on this swap, but i think it would be your best bet. I wouldn't go spending loads of time and money on that old engine, as I've seen them go 300,000 no problem.:cool:

Edited by cj7135

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I am in the middle of this swap, and my 2.2 is in the car and everything is bolted on, and I'm at the electrical phase, there is a couple issues I've run into with the wiring, the knock sensor wires aren't long enough on the driver's side to reach the driver side knock sensor, also the distributor that is on the intake of the ej22 has a different female plug then the distributor plug that is on the ej25, how do i get around this? Anyone? also this is my first post so sorry if i don't do this right

Those engines don't have a distributor in the US market....or any market?

Knock sensor - just install the one that was on the vehicle. It had to have a knock sensor. Install it. If it doesn't reach post a picture something else is wrong not swap related.

• 1 month later...

Those engines don't have a distributor in the US market....or any market?

Knock sensor - just install the one that was on the vehicle. It had to have a knock sensor. Install it. If it doesn't reach post a picture something else is wrong not swap related.

I meant a coil pack, I figured out all of the knock sensors, I am now at about 2 - 3 plugs missing from the new motor, one would be the egr delete, and the other is a think that you plug into a vacuum looking line, i have yet to find out what the other plug is for, i will post pictures in the morning. The intake is on and it cranked once, and then now it just goes click click, like the battery is dead, but its fully charged? Any idea's?

2 options. Use engine harness that matches the engine, or extend wires as needed and swap plugs for coil pack.

I swapped plugs for the coil pack, I used the one from the 2.2 and the 2.5 had the same color wires, so i spliced the 2.5 harness and put the female 2.2 coil pack plug onto the 2.5 harness via soldering. 

This swap shouldn't require any cutting or soldering to the wire harness to make it work. The harness on the 2.2 plugs right in. Did it not come with the harness?

If you got a 2.2 with no EGR the check engine light will stay on.

the 2.2 that i have had no egr, so i am still trying to figure a way around that.

I got it to crank again, it was the starter, i hit it a couple times then it cranked, but now i noticed that i dont have a correct timing sensor, im not sure what to do at this point, the timing sensor that came off the 2.2 has a 3 point plug but the 2.5 only has 2 point plugs and none of the 2 point plugs can reach the timing sensor.