Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Bunch of Loyale Questions...

Hi All!...

First of all: Thanx for Reading and Reply this... Just few questions, maybe you can help me:

• How do I clean safely and re-use the Weber Carb.´s Air Cleaner Element?

I am not sure... when I got my Redline Weber K731 Kit, it claims that the element is "Cleanable & Washable" so, it means Re-Usabe... But How? Maybe I´m afraid to damage it by inmersin´ it on Gasoline, or use just water... so, How do you clean your Weber Air Cleaner Elements?

• Or is Better to Buy another Filter? so, if this is the answer... Where -in Internet- is the better choices, and Why?

´cos I live in central america, here I only found the VolksWagen Weber Elements, but don´t fit exactly... and are too expensive, also, they seems to be of bad quiality... So maybe in Internet I can buy better ones... Any Idea where?

• What do you think ´bout the use of "Special" Oils on a EA82? I mean the Castrol "High Mileage" Oil... in SAE 25W60 with API "SL"... I am afraid to use it, due to the "Special Added Sealer Aditive" that it claims to have... A friend mechanic and I, think that the aditive can turn too sticky the Hydraulic Lifters and damage the engine as result... What do you Think?

Same question as in the Past Nineties, when people did argue about that the use of Syntethic oil on old cars, may damage it´s engine´s Seals, due to that they aren´t designed to the cntact with it... :confused:

• Here I saw Subaru Loyales that say at its back: 1.3E, 1.6DL, and 1.8GL ... I asked a friend that works at the Dealer since early 80´s... he says that the first Loyale came here in december 1984, as 1985 model, it came with twin squared beamlights, and the EA81 Engine... then it came with the EA82, Also he says that the 1.3 liter engine got the "E" due to it is an Economic Version, with just four speed... Is that True?

I saw that cars, yes... but with the 1.3 First I thougt that maybe it was a 1.8 sign, with the 8 damaged to look as a 3... :-\ ...but then I saw closer... It Was a real 3 Sticker! (All are just Factory Stickers) ... so I want to know which engine do they mount on it. Also, I don´t remember exactly where I read that in Europe, late Loyales came with a 2.0 Engine... Which engine is That? I know that in some countries, the Impreza is named "Grand Loyale", Are that about I did read?

• Did you know about Subaru Recalls?

My 1985 EA82 did came with a problem in the Air Conditioneer Wiring, that is easy to fix with a pair of united cables / plugs that the Dealer sells. It makes the A/C Fan start at the same time with the compressor... first loyales the fan was "Pressure" activated, and it makes the engine to overheat... I fix mine with that that correct connections, it connect between the relays and the original cables. Is Cheap.

Well... those are Enough Questions to Start... If you know the Answers, or the different possibilities, I will be So Grateful ... :) ...also, if you have some other questions, just ask... maybe I can help you... ...And maybe it is a Good Thread for All your Li´l Questions Too... All are Welcome!

Best Regards... :)

• What do you think ´bout the use of "Special" Oils on a EA82? I mean the Castrol "High Mileage" Oil... in SAE 25W60 with API "SL"... I am afraid to use it, due to the "Special Added Sealer Aditive" that it claims to have... A friend mechanic and I, think that the aditive can turn too sticky the Hydraulic Lifters and damage the engine as result... What do you Think?

Same question as in the Past Nineties, when people did argue about that the use of Syntethic oil on old cars, may damage it´s engine´s Seals, due to that they aren´t designed to the cntact with it... :confused:

Don't know about that particular oil. I have run Amsoil in all my cars. For over 20 years. 100% synthetic motor oil, with their spin on filter, air filter and bypass filter. Install the bypass filter, etc. Never changed oil again, only add to make up the inevitable loss that occurs. I have converted cars with milage from 15K to 80K. The car that was switched at 15K ran to 150K when the aged seals / head gaskets began leaking too much. All clean, no gunk, still in factory spec. for bearing clearances. I also use the Amsoil synthetic ATF and gear lube.

I tried the castrol startup formula ,that wasn't good for me,it did the opposite of quiet starts and took a long time to calm down. Went back to regular castrol, drained down everything on hot engine and made noise next cold start, not as long, but still noisy. I finally tried high mileage and its the better I've had yet, I keep using it winter and summer. Just enough stick, and not too much for taking things apart and cleaning/rebuilding (10w30 high mileage).

The 4 headlight subarus weren't Loyales where I live, and they never had fuel injection. The heads egr placement is also different (better).1987 was the last of them, 88 went to spfi, etc.I would love one of those 87 dl's again!

Hi All!...

• What do you think ´bout the use of "Special" Oils on a EA82?

Sorry, not much help on the other questions - I use regular Castrol 10W 30 in my Loyale now. After trying lots of different brands in this car over the years, both Synthetic and regular, I believe there's nothing to be gained from using anything else. There are members here with over 300,000 miles on their motors, still using regular Castrol.

On the other hand, despite all the concerns I see listed, I doubt you would really hurt anything (except your wallet) by trying the special formulas.

On the other hand, despite all the concerns I see listed, I doubt you would really hurt anything (except your wallet) by trying the special formulas.

Pheonix Arizona is a lovely place to save on normal petroleum products :)

Where I am has needed something special for fuel/oil/antifreeze and painting chemicals, body repair and tires, even the very steel and aluminum the old sube rides on. If it is to be special due to demographics revealing success, I am still calling the special normal. :-\

The shame is indeed the dent in the wallet:banghead:

Maybe I'll just pack up the old sube and head west like a.....

Pheonix Arizona is a lovely place to save on normal petroleum products

Good point - although it's rough on the paint!

Over the years, this car has helped me move and live in Kentucky, West Virginia, and Lousiana, among others, but I've never had it where it's so cold you need to add Heet to the fuel and plug the car in at night to keep the oil warm. I'm sure it is quite different.

Hi!

First of All: Thank you All for the Replies... :)

Now I got Ideas... but a lot of Questions remain unanswered... Well I Got a Few More:

• Why my Weberized EA82 Engine, Almost Dies when I got a left Turn when transmision is on "Neutral" (Engine just Idles) ?

Also:

• Where (On Internet) I can buy the 9104 Bulbs for the Headlights of my Subies?

I know most of you use the 9004 bulb on your Loyales. The 9004 got it`s Light Resistances Horizontally placed on the Bulb, so it gives a Wider Beam... instead, the 9104 (Known as "Rally" Bulb) got its resistances placed Longitudinally, so it gives a Longer Beam... Plus the 100/90 Watts, it makes my Subies to illuminate the road Better.

The place where I used to buy them, is now closed, :mad: so here are not more avaliable those "Rally" Bulbs. ( Brand: "Flösser" ) Maybe you know where to buy them on internet, or maybe another ones that can be similar. Maybe you know if there are another options... Please post `em here... :)

Thanks. :burnout:

About the Difference between the 9004 and the 9104 Bulbs, See...

:burnout:

Bulb91049004-2.jpg

Also, see this Comparison, to make things more Clear:

Bulb90049104-1Differences.jpg

This Images, Shows the Great "Flösser" 9104 Bulb, along with a Standard 9004 Bulb, just see them and you`ll notice the Difference.

The problem I Got is that I can`t found a store that sells them, except for it`s own website (

www.flosser.com ) on Germany, and I can`t buy anything from other countries, just U.S.A. due to a Mailbox / Credit Card Issues (I don`t Live at U.S.A... Remember)

So if Anybody knows where (In Internet / USA Based Websites ) I can buy them, I`ll be so Thankfull.

Best Regards. :)

hey Loyale2.7Turbo

The 9004 is far from dim on my loyale. It happened after a new alternator and fusible link that was "half bad". I still get high beam flashes from oncoming traffic to turn my lights down, and I can't because they are already on low beam! This is after dropping the front suspension and bringing lights down with it(I thought that would stop that annoyance from oncoming traffic - but it didn't). I thought all was well until the fusible link change. It made quite a difference for brighter.I checked pliability of links and engine ground for the dirty blue alkaline lookin stuff-- it perfectly catches up, even without a bad one.lights seem to be the first revelation of something fading away...

Hope you're not using the 100/80 on stock wiring... You could very easily melt your wiring. Ask KBD, he ran some high powered bulbs in his XT6 and melted a button pod.

Yes... It Happens... January 1995... :-\

I first get the 9104 as a part of my Dad`s Christmas Gift... :) ...on December 1994, and on the first trip with them, on January 1995, the wires got overheat, but the melted part was the Plugs...

Just Changed it with New ones with Thicker Wires at about one feet long to the original stock wires, and Voilá! ... It works Great for a couple of years... Then melted Plugs Again... and Change Done Again... And so the Story Goes... But now I Changed plugs for better ones in March... I hope those will Last More! :D

hey Loyale2.7Turbo

The 9004 is far from dim on my loyale. ... I still get high beam flashes from oncoming traffic to turn my lights down, and I can't because they are already on low beam! ...

Yes, I Know the Feeling...

I got the Same Situation, but let me Explain that Changin` the Standard 9004 Bulbs for Rally 9104 Bulbs, was NOT for poor Light, it was for "Longer Beam Lights" let me Explain:

The 9004 is "Wide" Ilumination, but Short reach on High Beams... the 9104 has almost the same reach area in Low Beam, but almost double far on High Beams...

Also 9104 makes each headlight to illuminate as if it got three lightning spots, as a "W" Letter, so with 9104 you got double "W" Beams... Looks like a WW in front of the Car... with 9004 you can see this, but very difuminated...

As added Info: in each Headlight with 9104, you can see a diagonal line crossin` it, as the Volvo Sign... (When Lights are On) as some H4 Bulbs do.

I travel Too Much (Really Too Much) on Nighttime with my Subies, almost each weekend, and our Pathetic Roads got a lot of Pot Holes and Cows, Horses, Donkeys... Etc... crossin` in the blackness of the night, in curves, etc... So that`s why I Changed them... You could notice the BIG Difference on a dark road... the 9104 reach the double distance than the 9004...

Also I added a pair of Round H3 Halogens under the Front Bumper, and changed the usual 55W bulbs with Flösser H3 of 100 Watts Each, This Ones:

BulbH3100Watts.jpg

And now my car seems to illuminate as a Stadium Lights on the Dark Roads

:headbang: ...

Doin` that I don`t wanna hurt anybody`s eyes, so I Only use those 9104`s High Beam and those 100W H3 on Open Roads, and the Round H3 Lights goes along whith the High Beam of the Main Lights.

Well, I hope this info. could help anybody with similar situation of dark night travels on dangerous Roads...

Anybody knows the Answers to the past Questions on this Threads?

Thanks! :burnout:

A solution is to wire up your lights with a relay. Have the stock wiring trigger the relay, which then has the headlights wired directly to the battery with a fuse.

Of course you'd need two relays, one for low beams and one for high beams.

Thank You!... I`ll think about the Relays...

Long time ago I did consider that Idea, but I was thinkin` that with the use of the 87A Pin, is not nessesary to have two Relays... Look this Schematic Drawing:

RelayCircuits.jpg

I will wait with this new Plugs... (Sockets) ...If they get "Cooked" too... i will put a Relay in. Thanks.

:)

Also I forget to mention that I use Halogens on the Backin` Lights of my Subies... That`s because here usually rains too much, and sometimes I need better Light to backin` more Safely.

You can see them here:

they got the same base & size than the Standard 1156 Base (one contact) bulbs that used on many subies in the Front Lights (On the Corners, near the Headlights) on the Backin` Lights, etc...

I accidentally take a picture of the Box where they did came to me (From Amazon) when I was about to Drill wider threads on the Intake Manyfold of my -now Weberized- EA82 white wagon, to fit the Weber Adaptor Plate. You can see it here:

Weberizado46.jpg

Well... I like too much brighter Lights... but I can`t use those halogens in Front of the car, `cos they heat too much, and can melt the plastic cover near the Main Headlights... Instead I use a Multi Beam White LED Bulbs there... They look as if I got Neons Threre...

:)

Something Similar to This:

B000CRAVS2.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

But with Thinner Head.

Well... Thanx Again.

Well...

I really don´t Know why my Weberized EA82 almost dies when I take strongly a Left Turn with the Engine Idling... Let me Explain it Better.

My Country is extremly mountany, due to that, ALL roads and also the Cities Streets´ got too many Hills... So, to economize Gasoline, I drive some parts of the Streets (Downhills) with the engine Just Idling... (GearBox in Neutral - Mine is Manual 5sp.) Some Boulevards, Highways, roads... etc... and when I take a left turn with the engine idling @ about 700 R.P.M.´s and @ 50 or so K.P.H. ... (Specially on Cities) the Red Lights of the Dashboard Flashes and the R.P.M.´s Drops to almost 150 :eek:

So, I think that maybe it is "Something" wrong... maybe the Hoses I did Interconnect from each head valve´s cover and the P.C.V. to the Weber´s Airbox Filter.

Any Idea? :confused:

• 1 month later...
Well...

I really don´t Know why my Weberized EA82 almost dies when I take strongly a Left Turn with the Engine Idling... Let me Explain it Better.

[snip]

Any Idea? :confused:

I just saw this post.

2 maybe / guesses:

Gas in the float bowl sloshes to one side, starving the engine. (I am not familiar with the weber)

Something similar to the SPFI Loyale problem wiht long hard right turns and smoke. Fixed by using 1/2" hoses from BOTH rocker covers to the intake boot.