Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Propeller shaft uni joint squeak

I have a squeak coming from the rear end of my Brat. I found that it was coming from near the front of my rear diff (driving along with my brother hanging out the door...) I replaced the diff, but it's still there.

Would I be able to grease the uni joint (via a grease nipple?) or do I have to replace the whole prop shaft? And what grease whould I use? I have HTB and Moly grease, but that's all I think. I'm guessing HTB as the uni joints have bearings right..?

Cheers for ya help.

I have a squeak coming from the rear end of my Brat. I found that it was coming from near the front of my rear diff (driving along with my brother hanging out the door...) I replaced the diff, but it's still there.

Would I be able to grease the uni joint (via a grease nipple?) or do I have to replace the whole prop shaft? And what grease whould I use? I have HTB and Moly grease, but that's all I think. I'm guessing HTB as the uni joints have bearings right..?

Cheers for ya help.

i think they're a sealed setup, you might be able to replace the UJ cross

a walk in the park if you have an acetalyne torch.

I'm probably not lucky to have "walks in the park". I've replaced the U joint via acetylene torch...it worked but I burnt my foot 'something fierce'. The damn berry managed to get through my work pants, into my boot, and to the bottom of my arch, in the middle! And my profession is Iron working, I deal with welding splatter all day. Yeah, it was easy, I guess...but the burn factor slowed me down :rolleyes:. OH I know, it's because it wasn't a Subaru's Driveline. DAMN TOYOTAs.

Ok, as for replacing the U joints in Subarus, I've heard that you can't, from some people, and others are saying that you can. What's the deal? I've seen someone do it on an EA71's line. They used the bench vise, socket and a BIG friggin' hammer. So yeah...good night!!

-Justin.

Ok, as for replacing the U joints in Subarus, I've heard that you can't, from some people, and others are saying that you can. What's the deal?

Seems the same when it comes to outter CV's... Some say it can't, others say they did...