Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ready for a New Lesson; Subaru 102

Hi Subie experts-

I've learned quite a bit about the differences in the early models. (Thank you to everyone for your knowledge)

However! One area that still causes me endless confusion is the difference between the DL and the GL lines. They sometimes appear to be the same cars. (Is this blasphemy?) For example, we once had a '73 GL Coupe. But when I take a look in a series of later brochures that I have, the same car with a "Stage II" front end is called a DL Coupe. Another example; I have seen Stage I and II Wagons with both GL and DL placards. Please enlighten me:

What are the main differences between the GL line and the DL line for Generation 1 Subarus?

Thanks

Bryan

Hi Subie experts-

I've learned quite a bit about the differences in the early models. (Thank you to everyone for your knowledge)

However! One area that still causes me endless confusion is the difference between the DL and the GL lines. They sometimes appear to be the same cars. (Is this blasphemy?) For example, we once had a '73 GL Coupe. But when I take a look in a series of later brochures that I have, the same car with a "Stage II" front end is called a DL Coupe. Another example; I have seen Stage I and II Wagons with both GL and DL placards. Please enlighten me:

What are the main differences between the GL line and the DL line for Generation 1 Subarus?

Thanks

Bryan

Well, the "GL" moniker was used before '75 on coupes ONLY... Starting in '75, "GF" was used for hardtops (no B pillar) and "DL" for coupes, as well as the "luxury" sedans and the wagons. Further confusing this, in '78 and '79 only, there was a special version of the DL coupe called the FE, which used a higher compression EA-71. Then there were the "standards", which were the super base models that didn't even come with trip odometers (or radios, I believe).

the "GL" name came back in '79, becoming the "luxury" model of the 4WD wagon line.

So except for '79, "DL" and "GL" didn't actually share any time in the lineup for the first gens.

Of course, starting with the 2nd gen (also called by some the MY or Leone), they share the line all the time, with the DL being the base model and GL being the luxury package.

Clear as mud? :)

Well, the "GL" moniker was used before '75 on coupes ONLY... Starting in '75, "GF" was used for hardtops (no B pillar) and "DL" for coupes, as well as the "luxury" sedans and the wagons. Further confusing this, in '78 and '79 only, there was a special version of the DL coupe called the FE, which used a higher compression EA-71. Then there were the "standards", which were the super base models that didn't even come with trip odometers (or radios, I believe).

the "GL" name came back in '79, becoming the "luxury" model of the 4WD wagon line.

So except for '79, "DL" and "GL" didn't actually share any time in the lineup for the first gens.

Of course, starting with the 2nd gen (also called by some the MY or Leone), they share the line all the time, with the DL being the base model and GL being the luxury package.

Clear as mud? :)

WOW! I will read that a few more times and let it sink in. Interesting brand strategy they had, eh?

Thanks- BT

Come '77? they dropped the GL.

My FSM of June '78 shows no GL in the line up.All "A26,A66,and A67"'s came as either Std.,DL,or the GF hardtop.Excepting the 4WD wagon-no designation at all.

Yes,upon checking,'79 brought the GL back if you got a 4WD wagon or Brat.

In '77 the coupe was now a DL or an FE so the GL ran in the Coupes from I guess 1972-1975

One FPM shows GL on the coupe in '75 but not in '76.

Just going from FSM and FPM's.I don't recall seeing early GL's other than the coupes as a kid.

Maybe dealers were allowed to tag them GL's if they sold some options???Just a thought.

the beginning of the VIN code designates whether its a FWD, 4WD, wagon, sedan or Brat. I have a post in someone's thread about vin codes out of my '78 FSM and it gives everything for that year excluding the Brat (which is weird). It lists the transmissions also.

Here's the link to the post...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57406&page=2&highlight=A67L

Here's what my post entitled...

the first 4 digits of the vin for gen 1 Subarus, well the gen 1 stage 2 Subarus, specifies if its a coupe, sedan, hardtop, brat, wagon and if its 2wd or 4wd. Here's a rundown in my '78 FSM...

US models

2-door Sedan (STD, 4GM) - A26L-209001 and after

2-door Sedan (DL, 4GM) - A26L-409001 and after

2-door Sedan (DL, AT) - A26L-732001 and after

4-door Sedan (DL, 4GM) - A26L-507001 and after

4-door Sedan (DL, 5GM) - A26L-662001 and after

4-door Sedan (DL, AT) - A26L-612001 and after

Coupe (DL, 5GM) - A26L-909001 and after

Hardtop (GF, 5GM) - A26L-808001 and after

Hardtop (GF, AT) - A26L-310001 and after

Station Wagon (DL, 4GM) - A66L-710001 and after

Station Wagon (DL, 5GM) - A66L-302001 and after

Station Wagon (DL, AT) - A66L-612001 and after

Station Wagon (4WD, 4GM) -A67L-010001 and after

Also, Brats vin numbers started with "A69L"

There ya go. I just glanced at my parts catalogue really quick, I didn't look at specific designations.

That reminds me, the Stage 1 Gen I's are the 1100's and 1300's right (better known as the FF1's)? Making the 1400's and 1600's the Stage 2 Gen I's? I wanna be sure I have that right.

There ya go. I just glanced at my parts catalogue really quick, I didn't look at specific designations.

That reminds me, the Stage 1 Gen I's are the 1100's and 1300's right (better known as the FF1's)? Making the 1400's and 1600's the Stage 2 Gen I's? I wanna be sure I have that right.

Not really,sort of...but let me try to help explain.

The 1100 was in the first non-360 series.Wasn't there a 1000 also??Nobody ever sees or even talks about them.

Then came the 1300,which really is a great engine for what it is.

Now in 1973 you'll find that there's 3 Stages of production,but those stages represent different parts in assembly,not body style changes.

That's a Stage I,II,and III all their own,within 1973.They punched out the 1300 to make the 1400 and that's where the problems started with the wet cylinder sleeves.Popular opinion amongst the elder Subaru techs I know is that the 1400 was just punched too much and lack or remaining material in the blocks causes the extra motion...etc.etc...which resulted in many headgaksets wasted,some heads warped...much complaining,but they managed to gain interest especially in New England.

Then production was typical from '74 thru Stage I 1977.Same bodies,just changes in the engines,addition of automatic,addition of 4WD in the wagon.1400 revision (4port exh. to 2port exh.,dry bored cylinder) just in time for it's demise,and enter the 1600.

Stage I and Stage II typically refers to the 1977 model changes to the bodywork.The Brat comes along with the advent of Stage II.

Stage I has the indentaion that runs the length of the body on the side panels and doors.Stage II is smoooooooooooooooth.:cool:

Hope this helps.

Good stuff. Now I can differentiate between some of the GenI pics I've been collecting, by whether they have the indentation down the body or not :)

I was under the impression that ALL Subarus had a wet cylinder sleeve, so I was very surprised when I was reading through my FSM's that my 79 has a dry sleeve. Is that the only time they did that? Aren't all EA81's wet-sleeve?

What stage is your 73? Is it a 1300 or 1400?

What stage is your 73? Is it a 1300 or 1400?

Mine is the GL1400.I still haven't even looked at my VIN # The car sits at my parents house but next time I will check.I've been meaning to find out for myself.Maybe a call to dad tomorrow,since I'm more curious now.

After the revision of the 1400 in '74/75 all the EA engines,etc. were bored,not sleeved.

After the revision of the 1400 in '74/75 all the EA engines,etc. were bored,not sleeved.

All 1400s thru 1976 had removable wet liners. The 1976 service manual I have access to specifies the wet liners for the EA63 (1400) and dry liners for the EA71 (1600). My father's '76 DL wagon had the 1400 and it chewed up head gaskets like water.