Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air bypass valve EA82T

Trying to get my EA82T to idle when cold.

latest thing I'm checking is the air bypass valve (the black thing on top of the thermostat housing)

Can someone confirm how it should function?

So far I know that 12volts crosses the terminals when the fuel pump is active.

When I take the valve off to look at it, it is slightly open - not completely open but definately not closed. But it doesnt change position when the 12volt current is live or switched off. How can I test it?:confused:

thanks for advice.

btw other things I have tried are coolant temp gauge -swapped, and contacts cleaned up, vacume and PCV pipes checked -cant find any leaks.

it should be full open with the engine cold. it should slowly close over about 3-4 mins with 12v hooked up. the heat from the thermostat housing helps it shut too, but with just 12v hooked up it should be completley shut within 10 mins. if it doesnt move at all it is stuffed.

it should be full open with the engine cold. it should slowly close over about 3-4 mins with 12v hooked up. the heat from the thermostat housing helps it shut too, but with just 12v hooked up it should be completley shut within 10 mins. if it doesnt move at all it is stuffed.

Thanks man, that is very useful. I guessed that heat closed the valve but had no idea that 12v alone would close it completely after 10 mins.

So in theory if it is stuffed I can test whether this is the cause of my problem by rigging it open, then at least it should start and idle ok until warmed up

what will happen if I run the engine hot with this valve open?

put a wooden beed in the tube from the manifold to the valve..and drill a hold in the bead around 2mm in diameter...this will solve your problems,

habib.....are you lebanese?? i have 3 friends lebanese ..azmi... akmed..and habib too.. do you know habib means friend??cheers

thanks for this advice, I'm to sure what to make of my idle and warm up problems but will get to the bottom of it in the end,

does a slight pick up in revs just as a take my foot off the gas mean anything? While I'm trying to get it warmed up I can just about keep it going by gently pumping the gas pedal, it revs a bit when pressing down and then seems to burst a little when I release too.

yeah my name is arabic, but i am Welsh! strange but true! :brow:

thanks again.

I wouldn't do that drill mod suggested above, your going to be pulling in UNFILTERED air and get lots of dirt and grime into the engine which is a bad thing.

Goto the local junk yard and grab another AUX Valve, takes 5 min to change and usually runs $5-10

I wouldn't do that drill mod suggested above, your going to be pulling in UNFILTERED air and get lots of dirt and grime into the engine which is a bad thing.

Goto the local junk yard and grab another AUX Valve, takes 5 min to change and usually runs $5-10

you refit the hose as it was MORON..after fitting the bead...geez..how the hell is your car still on the road...:eek: