Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

crankshaft pulley interchange?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

hey folks, i just had to replace the eccentric roll pin that holds the crankshaft accessory pulley in place. Unfortunately, i was intelligent enough to hammer the new pin in place with the pulley sitting on the concrete.. and of course, i cracked the lip about 3" along the diameter. needless to say, i need a new pulley now.. but my question is, what engine/vehicles can i get one from?

I have an 87 GL-10, with a 1.8liter, SPFI non turbo pancake..... it is an ea82 i believe... I dont know how much luck im going to have finding a subbie of this vintage in any of my local boneyards at all, so ANY info anyone might have on what pulleys i could potentially use would be GREATLY appreciated. I deliver pizzas for a living, and i had no choice but to reassemble the thing as is, and must drive on it until I repair it or it breaks. the dealer quoted me $147 for a new pulley, and thats just, no.

thanks in advance for the help.

shawn

#2 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:28 PM

Pretty much any EA82 should have the same pulley. Ones I know that would be different are the XTs, as they have two 4-ribbed belts.

#3 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

thats about what i figured, but i wanted some confirmation from those who know subaru motors better than i.

incidentally, has everyone here noticed that subaru spelled backwards is U R A BUS? my dad bought an xt6 new in 1989 and was tempted to get that as a license plate, but never did. of course, that was my first thought on getting this car...

#4 ()__1337_CRAYOLA__()>

()__1337_CRAYOLA__()>

Soob Finatic

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Burien/Des Moines

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

I can Pull the lower pully off my spare motor if you want it make an offer and you pay shipping...

Posted Image

#5 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:59 AM

well, im gonna check my local junkyards first, but thanks for the offer. I'll bear that in mind if I am still looking in a few days, otherwise id rather not bother with the hassle of shipping a piece of iron halfway across the continent.. but it sure beats dealer new price, whatever it could be :- )

#6 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:32 AM

well, im gonna check my local junkyards first, but thanks for the offer. I'll bear that in mind if I am still looking in a few days, otherwise id rather not bother with the hassle of shipping a piece of iron halfway across the continent.. but it sure beats dealer new price, whatever it could be :- )

I think i have one from a turbo car sitting in the garage somewhere. No roll pin ;). It didn't come with one. I have a lighter pulley from an NA car on there now with roll pin and such)

Anyway, the turbo pulley is yours if you want it.

#7 suberdave

suberdave

www.suberdave.com

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • Covington

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

there is a huge difference in weight between the turbo pully and an N/A pully. the N/A pully is about 1/4 the weight of the turbo pully.

eather will work. but i would guess the N/A one would be better...

-=Suberdave=-
www.suberdave.com

#8 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:49 PM

the N/A pully is about 1/4 the weight of the turbo pully.

-=Suberdave=-
www.suberdave.com

According to my scales, its actually almost exactly 1/2

Thats why the turbo pulley is in a box and the NA pulley is in the car ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users