Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok I need some help, 98 impreza L

Ok I was coming home just a bit ago and the car seemed to be running rough

, pulled into a bank to tap mac, turned the car off, went back about 1 minute later and the car wouldn't start. Finally started but ran very rough, drove home about 1/2 mile or so, pulled into the driveway and that was it. Car stalled out and now when I try to start it, it doesn't crank, it makes a noise like it normally would when you start it but no crank. I'm figuring my timing belt broke, it has 166k on it I was told the belt was replaced at 105k but apparently that was not true.

How can I go check to see if that is actually the problem, could it be anything else? If that is it there is a guy from the SVX forum who will replace it for me what parts do I need, as he told me to source my own parts.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

• 2 months later...

You can take one of the plactic covers off in the front and see if the belt is broke, but if it is broke the engine will turn over much faster when you crank on it then it will if it is not broke, so you should be able to tell without removing the cover. You might want to take the fuel line off at the filter and see if you are getting fuel. My fuel pump went out last week and it run kind of like what you are saying yours does.

Ok I was coming home just a bit ago and the car seemed to be running rough

, pulled into a bank to tap mac, turned the car off, went back about 1 minute later and the car wouldn't start. Finally started but ran very rough, drove home about 1/2 mile or so, pulled into the driveway and that was it. Car stalled out and now when I try to start it, it doesn't crank, it makes a noise like it normally would when you start it but no crank. I'm figuring my timing belt broke, it has 166k on it I was told the belt was replaced at 105k but apparently that was not true.

How can I go check to see if that is actually the problem, could it be anything else? If that is it there is a guy from the SVX forum who will replace it for me what parts do I need, as he told me to source my own parts.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.