Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transaxle/dual range question

Im pretty new to working on subarus and i havent really looked at either of these trannys yet but here is my question... i have 2 soobs an 84 brat with a 4 speed and a dual range tranny, and i also have an 84 wagon with a auto and single range tranny...I was wondering if there was anyway to put the dual range into the auto (the 4 speed is a junk truck and no reverse in tranny so a swap is out) Like i said i havent looked yet so i have no idea of what the tranny even looks like but any help would be appriciated

Yep, it is a simple bolt up, just make sure that you have everything, clutch type pedal assy, clutch cable, flywheel, clutch assy, clutch disc, throwout bearing, tranny, tranny mounts, manual tranny center console, and drive line (I bet I forgot something, but someone will catch it).

yes the dual range is built in internally to the 5spd, there is no way to fit it to an automatic, it doesn't bolt on the end like normal transfer cases. There are also no dual range automatic boxes produced either, so if you want dual range you are stuck with a manual. Like Dr. RX said, you can swap a manual dual range transmission into an automatic car if you put in the pedal assembly and other bits to match.