Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cone Air Filter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

Decided it was time to install my cone air filter I've had sitting on my shelf since I wrecked my Toyota and took it from it. Its a 3" Diameter K&N filter. I discovered that an older Toyota Celica / Previa adapter fits PERFECT. Bolt holes line up, and the square opening in the adapter is the same dimensions as the flapper style MAF's opening. If you're have a flapper style MAF, get an adpater for an older Celica/Previa.

Then it was time to wedge that cone filter in. I ended flipping the MAF upside down, and wedging the filter between the fender and the MAF. It fits snuggly.

I don't think I have much more power, but the throttle response is better. Plus, it sounds great.

Posted Image

#2 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:13 PM

Ya know what you can do to get rid of that MAF? Megasquirt:headbang:. PM me, I make the units...but I'm still working on an almost plug n play for subarus.

Oh yeah, great work too!! I Have one for my Turbo wagon, it's a hotwire though.

#3 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,094 posts
  • ohio

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

very nice :banana:

#4 76mgb88rx

76mgb88rx

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Springfield

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:08 AM

will the adapter for the toyota also fit in a hotwire style maf sensor?

#5 cmiller

cmiller

Flat 4

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Tigard, OR

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:26 AM

build a nice box around the back side of it so to keep the excess heatfrom the engine off of it... so as to get that nice colder air from the front. Looks great though!

#6 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:57 AM

will the adapter for the toyota also fit in a hotwire style maf sensor?

i have an adaptor on my hotwire maf. not sure what the application was. i just grabbed it at the parts store and said 'hmm, i think this might fit my intake!' and it did!

#7 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:09 AM

i have an adaptor on my hotwire maf. not sure what the application was. i just grabbed it at the parts store and said 'hmm, i think this might fit my intake!' and it did!

Autozone.. marked as a nissan part

#8 76mgb88rx

76mgb88rx

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Springfield

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:15 AM

thanks for the parts info. I was thinking of having one made with a 90 degree bend so that the filter wouldn't rub the fender and it would be easier to build a heat shield for it. You possibly make the cone filter fit inside the factory airbox and make the existing hole through the wheel well bigger. It would look bone stock and get lots of cold air. It wouldn't be as noisy as with no airbox.

#9 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:21 AM

It wouldn't be as noisy as with no airbox.

wheres the fun in that? my wagon sounds like a mini tractor trailer :brow:

#10 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:10 AM

Nissan something adapter fits the hotwire. The hotwire has a round opening, and the flapper has a square opening.

#11 4WDFrenzy

4WDFrenzy

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:00 AM

So nobody is going for a full fenderwell intake?:confused: The coldest air you will get is from outside the engine bay. I just cut a hole into my fender, used a Honda Accord short ram intake(cut into sections of course), and went to work. Mine works great. :banana: And the car sits high enough that ingesting water isn't even a worry, well unless I decide to drive through a 2-3 foot deep puddle.

Patrick

#12 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:40 AM

i made my own cold air intake after deciding it wasnt good for the car to be sucking in all that hot air from the engine bay.

#13 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:11 AM

Nissan something adapter fits the hotwire. The hotwire has a round opening, and the flapper has a square opening.

My nissan adapter came with a square plastic piece that allows it to mate to the flapper style as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users