Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what size? (block heaters)

wow, so after like a hammer socket and air tools, it's just still just wanting to strip, so it looks like I am just down to using a chisel or something to get it out. Any experienced Subaru mechanics out there who deal with these regularly?

• 2 weeks later...

This sucks, it's starting to get colder out and I still have no block heater. I haven't tried to chisel it yet, but I am afraid that it will do damaged to the threads or something if it is being this difficult and they my engine is useless. Anyone know of any inline block heater set ups?

man, i feel your pain martin. i had three block heaters to put in my subes this fall. i got 2 of the plugs out ok, they were tough but got them out without stripping them.

the third one on my 87 gl just would not come out. i tried everything, torch, impact,etc.

finally ended up totally stripping it.

i more or less gave up on it but saw this thread. i kinda like miles foxes idea of welding a nut on it.

sounds like it may actually work.

miles, have you actually done this?

damn 87 gl's just dont want to let them go then... I also assumed it would be easy like how your previous ones came out... but this one has been going through everything and no go. i think it's probably up to a size 15mm hex now, hahaha. I dont have any welding equipment, so that idea is out for me right now. If it is so stuck, it might just have to be left alone, I dont want the threads of the engine block coming out with the plug. I see why they write do not overtighten with the block heater instructions, hhaah.