Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

what size? (block heaters)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Martin

Martin

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 29 October 2003 - 05:09 PM

Does anyone know what size hex fits in order to remove the plug where block heaters are installed? The stealership wants to charge about $40 to put it in, so I know I can find the proper size for less than that. Thanks.

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 29 October 2003 - 06:14 PM

14mm, the same as the wrist pin plugs. i have an S*K hex socket, it was about 14 bucks

#3 Martin

Martin

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:25 PM

Thanks, so far I have only been able to find 10mm ones, (which looked too small) but now that I know it's a 14, I should be able to get one tomorrow.

#4 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 09:02 PM

whats the size of the one that looks to spill all of the coolant from the engine at the bottom?

#5 Martin

Martin

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 31 October 2003 - 02:21 PM

yep, that's the one I was talking about... the one that will probably spill all of the coolant from the engine... if only the stupid thing wasn't stripping!! I hate those projects where one stupid bolt/nut wont co-operate!

#6 Martin

Martin

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 31 October 2003 - 07:47 PM

wow, so after like a hammer socket and air tools, it's just still just wanting to strip, so it looks like I am just down to using a chisel or something to get it out. Any experienced Subaru mechanics out there who deal with these regularly?

#7 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 07:48 PM

if it doesnt come out, dont take it out.

unless its the plugs that you need to take out to get the wrist pins off....then i dont know what to tell ya. i think i uded an impact to get a few out.

#8 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,233 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 31 October 2003 - 07:58 PM

After searching every tool and auto shop for three counties I saw some large TORX bits on the shelf. I think it was about $20 for the bit and it fits on a 1/2 breaker bar. Fits just like it was made for it.

#9 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:37 PM

weld a nut to the plug. the plug is steel. use a wrench on the nut. and then you can re-use and re-install it.

#10 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 November 2003 - 12:12 AM

Yeah - those big a$$ torx bits are for removing steering wheel bolts on newer VW's and Audi's - had to do that a few months ago. What a pain.

GD

#11 Martin

Martin

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 14 November 2003 - 04:22 PM

This sucks, it's starting to get colder out and I still have no block heater. I haven't tried to chisel it yet, but I am afraid that it will do damaged to the threads or something if it is being this difficult and they my engine is useless. Anyone know of any inline block heater set ups?

#12 snowstormer

snowstormer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • northwest wisconsin

Posted 14 November 2003 - 06:41 PM

man, i feel your pain martin. i had three block heaters to put in my subes this fall. i got 2 of the plugs out ok, they were tough but got them out without stripping them.

the third one on my 87 gl just would not come out. i tried everything, torch, impact,etc.

finally ended up totally stripping it.

i more or less gave up on it but saw this thread. i kinda like miles foxes idea of welding a nut on it.

sounds like it may actually work.

miles, have you actually done this?

#13 Martin

Martin

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 14 November 2003 - 06:56 PM

damn 87 gl's just dont want to let them go then... I also assumed it would be easy like how your previous ones came out... but this one has been going through everything and no go. i think it's probably up to a size 15mm hex now, hahaha. I dont have any welding equipment, so that idea is out for me right now. If it is so stuck, it might just have to be left alone, I dont want the threads of the engine block coming out with the plug. I see why they write do not overtighten with the block heater instructions, hhaah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users