Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trail rig

The Scooby

ok im getting another older scooby again, im putting my 92 sport sedan in the garage to do some major stuff,

anyways im picking up an 88gl spfi 5sp w/ d/r and $1k for my 94 legacy, i want to build this into a nice trail rig with least amount of money into it. i dont care about bashing out fender wells, i just want to run some agressive tires for some mud pits, trail riding and just goofing around, nothing really agressive.

prefer not to lift simply because i dont have that kind of scratch to throw into this car. so whats a good set of tires for the stock 13's? i was thinking of destudded snow tires. or if i can find a way to get it lifted cheaply than i was be good with that also,

so if you guys have any ideas or tips please let me know.

I'd say you should start off with 14 or 15 inch wheels and large-ish aggressive tires. And possibly weld up the rear diff.

I second that motion!

Tires and gears are a tradeoff.

You need to figure out which you want/need.

You really can't have both cheaply.

Weld the diff and look for a "bigger" tire.

I think studs would be great on everything but slickrock?

I looked at some used aggressive studded 13" over the weekend.

Too bad I'm looking for 14".

well since my turbo legacy is gonna be down for a little while this will be my daily driver, so i cant run studded tires, or a welded rear diff, basically i just want to be able to clear most deep ruts, and hit the mud and have fun.

i think im going to just put on some snow tires, roll the fenders, and put on a skid plate and go beat it up for now until i can afford a 3inch lift, pug 15's, and some tsl ss's

i used some real aggresive studded tires that we're rated for snow/mud and took out the studs but i also had the adjustable struts so i had a little more ground clearance, that combo worked out really well. the big problem though was not having complete traction in the rear so i was limited on some trails. it would do alot better if you welded the rear end and take out the axle for the street.

that was on my 86 ea82 wagon, about a 1-1/2 years ago i lifted it (homemade cheapy), put 15 mts on it and welded the rear end. its a monster now.

i got an 84 wagon this past january and ran the same 13" snow tires on it from my other wagon with the suspension cranked up. it work really good but still limited. now i'm running 14" blizzaks on pugs on it and im going to put an LSD rear end in it so it can still be run on the street without taking an axle out. it needs something (LSD or welded) for traction especially for climbing or when you get a rear wheel up in the air, needs that traction from the other wheel or your stopped and have to push it back. been there done that.

so what... just pull out one axel when on the street then toss it back in off road when im wheeling with a welded diff...

i think ill just pull the 3.90 VLSD out of my 91 turbo legacy for my trail rig then, i really dont want to have to swap in an axel on the side of the road just to wheel then take it out when im done, im just too lazy to do that and i like to do stuff on the spurr of the monent.

so what... just pull out one axel when on the street then toss it back in off road when im wheeling with a welded diff...

i think ill just pull the 3.90 VLSD out of my 91 turbo legacy for my trail rig then, i really dont want to have to swap in an axel on the side of the road just to wheel then take it out when im done, im just too lazy to do that and i like to do stuff on the spurr of the monent.

You'll find that your VLSD is pretty useless offroad. At speed, with power it works. Stopped while a little off camber. . . useless as an open diff. Pulling a diff out of a legacy is a pain in the butt. It's not that tough to change out an axle.

Find an old LSD from an RX, it'll work as a happy medium.