Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1.5" front suspension lift

SOOBOUTLAW

Has anyone sucessfully lifted the front of their EA81 rigs 1.5" without lowering the crossmember/ trans cradle? Maybe spacer blocks on top of the struts, bring top of the struts inboard 1/2" to fix camber, custom motor/tranny mounts to help axles? Maybe telescoping axleshafts along with the CV/DOJ assembly? Or are GCK axles good with excessive travel?

With the adjustable struts NOT adjusted all the way up (maybe half way, for fine tuning)?

well i haven't done it to my 84 sooby wagon yet not sure if i'm going to but i did put non adjustable kyb's in with a coil spring spacer under the spring to make up for the non adjustment.

however, my 86 ea82 wagon when i originally put it together with the stock adjustable struts i drilled out the strut bearing plate so i could put longer grade 8 bolts in and used rancho shock mount bushings which we're 1 1/2" long. i then took a die grinder with a burr grinding bit and elongated the holes in the strut towers in towards the engine so i could kick the top of the struts in. this took out alot of the positive camber can't remember how much but i think when i did the alignment it was down to about 1/2-1 degree positive. i have since replaced the struts with kyb's they we're to worn out, so i still need to put spacers under the springs to make up for the non adjustment. as far as axles go, i do eat them but don't care doesn't cost me that much and i haven't really got to investigating anything else at the moment but will someday i will.

don't know if this helps or answers any questions, but i like my sooby this way. alot of my friends that run jeeps, samuris and toyotas are envious of my ground clearance and are quite impressed with what i have been able to do with it when i go wheelin with them and i have gone on some pretty narly trails that they tried to wave me around. i know that this setup is kinda backyard/getto like and i had planned on doing something more permanent but it works so right now it stays the way it is.

Yeah, I happen to be doing this in my backyard in a ghetto part of town. I like the idea of keeping the bottom of the car as smooth as possible for clearance. I don't like the idea of dropping the crossmember and lowering the driveline via traditional lift kits, and I don't need a real big lift. I can just hack/pound metal if it gets in the way. The rear is already lifted by turning the torsion bars down a notch. Never had an axle problem from it. Stock EA81 DOJ cups, but I will probably try GD's EA82 cup swap. Might try it with the front axle DOJ too, got enough parts here and there except EA82 cups. I would probably use 1.5"x1.5" square steel tubing for blocks, but that bushing trick sounds cool.

Ive got 2" suspension lift on my EA82 blue bomber car its all suspension, used simple 2x2 tubing on top the strut towers and a bent peice of 1-1/2 flatbar on the rear , on Andys car EA81 we have 1" suspension lift on front, got 4" on the strut and 3" on the engine crossmember, so I know you can do 1" , try 1-1/2" nothing to loose except a axle :eek: