Ultimate Subaru Message Board

R200 Nissan rear. I think this is the way for me

sayn3ver

Alright, after spending some time reading tonight, i think the nissan r200 rear is my answer. Pretty sure the arb locker fits, it should bolt right up with alittle modding of the rear support bar(mustash bar?). The only thing is the axels...

Best of all there are models with all different gear ratios...including 3.9.

I need to start looking around. And its built proof. ideally what spline count are subaru axles(25?)

I want a locked diff, somewhere on my car. I dunno how well this will work with an open front diff. Might need to throw an lsd in there.

I want a locked diff, somewhere on my car. I dunno how well this will work with an open front diff. Might need to throw an lsd in there.

Heading up hills is where you need the most traction. And also heading up hills puts lots of weight on the rear. So a open front should be fine. You can always use the handbrake, or do a dual handbrake setup.

Would be nice to see a air locker in a subie. As for the splines, I don't know, I think it's 25. But the rear drums on my car has a smaller spline (I think it's still 25) but it is smaller. I'm pretty sure the rear diff is the same as the front diff (in the gearbox.)

I dont know, pressing a button sounds alot easier than jacking car up and removing an axle, not to mention having the diff exposed to water, dirt, etc with the axle out.

Also, because i have AWD, will thatnot mess with the center diff, casuing it to burn out.

I dont know, pressing a button sounds alot easier than jacking car up and removing an axle, not to mention having the diff exposed to water, dirt, etc with the axle out.

Also, because i have AWD, will thatnot mess with the center diff, casuing it to burn out.

Beign AWD, if you lose traction on one front wheel you still won't move at all even with a rear spool or locker. Not worth it unless you are also going to install a real 4WD trans.

Diff is not exposed at all without the axle - the seals are in the diff not the axle, and the stub is external not internal. It takes me about 5 min to remove or replace mine. But again - you need 4WD before you even consider such a thing.

GD

i have an automatic right now. I was planning on putting a manual awd tranny in. My dads friend up the street has an old brat with a manual 4wd dual range. I dont know what year or if he would be willing to part with it, but i dont think my parents would like me having to parts cars in the yard...I really want to step up my off road peformance.

.I really want to step up my off road peformance.

I thought the same way when i was 20 (wow.. that was last year ;) ) but since then i've realized that i drive... ALOT... and modifying my roo' to the point of extreme trail worthyness vs being able to get to work w/o burning up 10 gallons of gas... the road worthyness won.

Unless you have another car, i'd keep the mods relitivly low-impact on the car's overall road performance... because that's what you have it for ;)

but since i've got the bmw running now.. i may have to head down the dirt road again :brow: Don't get me wrong, go ahead and do what you want, but in the end... i realized that i'm cheap, and i like getting 28mpg :burnout:

But yeah, with one cut of a wire, and a switch, you can have 'realish' 4wd w/ your auto... that's a better 4wd than the manuals get (the newer ones), because you don't burn up a viscous c-diff.. whereas when the 4eat is in 4wd mode it actually stays cooler (in theory), because the clutch isnt switching on & off like it's on crack or something...

Oh yeah.. who said anything about jacking the car up to take the axle out? you just have to romp up on something so she lifts her leg a little...

my automatic has the dreaded solinoid C issue. bad. i havent flushed it yet but i dont want to waste the money. i hate driving an automatic. And now i can get a manualin my car for cheap, i am gonna do it. I realize manual awd is somewhat of a step down vs the auto awd, but i like driving stick, i am always afraid of bashing my automatic's fluid pan on something and i'd like to obtain a dual range one day and already being setup for a manual should help the process go alittle smoother. I live 2 blocks from work and 5 minutes from school. I am willing to make alittle sacrafice.

The Brat tranny is a bad choice - 4 spd is not going to fit very well. You'll have a lot more issues than with a 5 spd D/R.

The D/R transmissions are NOT awd - they are 4WD. And manual is not a step down over auto, it's far better for off-road.

That said, Andy is right - if you only have one car don't do this sort of thing with it. You will have nothing but headaches - you'll take it out and break something, or it won't be driveable because you have it ripped apart in your driveway. You are going to want bigger MT tires, and you're looking at $500 for tires/rims that will last maybe 10k miles or less.... lets not even go into the mileage issue :rolleyes:. My wagon gets 22 freeway, and maybe 20 in town.

Best thing you can do is get another rig to PLAY with. Then you don't have to stress about being able to run to the junk yard or parts store whne it's broke, or getting to work, or having a decent vehicle for a date or something. Before you go nuts - get prepared. Get a AAA membership, and pick up a cheap soob for a few hundred as a toy. You'll be a lot happier, and you will feel so free - you won't have the spectre of damage hanging over you. Free to break things and bash stuff at will - it's beutiful, and IMHO more important than any other aspect of off-road play with a soob. Hell - I smashed a window out of my wagon last time I went out - that was probably a month ago and it's still not fixed - because I don't HAVE to. I'll probably just wait till winter.

GD

bahhh andy jo, do what I did and get two seperate sets of tires/wheels.

Invest in a good jack too, I've been using the crummy scissor one the car came with. NOT good.

I've got 3 sets of wheels, and 6 sets of tires... i need to GET RID OF some before i get some M/Ts :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... the jack thing is important too... because youre impreza jack WILL NOT get your tires off the ground anymore... even w/ 1.5" more on stock, my stock jack barely does the job... carry around some 2x4 pieces screwed together to get it up high enough ;)

And as said.. a 2nd car is awesome, because once i get that bmw running 100%.... look out for some HOTT impreza upgrades :D

The D/R transmissions are NOT awd - they are 4WD. And manual is not a step down over auto, it's far better for off-road.

That said, Andy is right - if you only have one car don't do this sort of thing with it. You will have nothing but headaches - you'll take it out and break something, or it won't be driveable because you have it ripped apart in your driveway. You are going to want bigger MT tires, and you're looking at $500 for tires/rims that will last maybe 10k miles or less.... lets not even go into the mileage issue :rolleyes:. My wagon gets 22 freeway, and maybe 20 in town.

Best thing you can do is get another rig to PLAY with. Then you don't have to stress about being able to run to the junk yard or parts store whne it's broke, or getting to work, or having a decent vehicle for a date or something. Before you go nuts - get prepared. Get a AAA membership, and pick up a cheap soob for a few hundred as a toy. You'll be a lot happier, and you will feel so free - you won't have the spectre of damage hanging over you. Free to break things and bash stuff at will - it's beutiful, and IMHO more important than any other aspect of off-road play with a soob. Hell - I smashed a window out of my wagon last time I went out - that was probably a month ago and it's still not fixed - because I don't HAVE to. I'll probably just wait till winter.

GD

I think that's some damn good advice about owning an off-roading vehicle. I picked up my Brat when my Wagon's front end was in a few pieces out of need for a DD. (I think these guys were saying the Auto is better for the Center locking mod' . .)

It seems like if you really want a manual AWD, you should set the vehicle up for some more rally style driving & performance. And possibly a stiffer and higher ride (Outback/Forester setup . .), then a rear LSD would be a nice accent. This would allow for a more easilly street-able daily driver.

i already have 27inch ssr's mounted in the basement.

I said i was getting a 5sp AWD tranny....a step down form the AWD auto.

I didnt know there was both a 4spd and a 5spd dual range. i suppose i'll pass on the brat. if it wasnt so rusted i would just buy it and mod that.

i already have collected a bit of tools for offroad situations. i need to order my beefed up wyth-scott come-along. I am going to sears this weekend (because everything is on sale) to get myself an extra 2 1/4 ton jack w/case to keep in my trunk. after lifting my brothers dodge 1500 5 inches, i realize the importance of carrying around blocks of wood.