Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Naches Pass and surrounding area

8 hour count down...

Are you guys going to have a CB or something with ya? If so what channel? I am going to be in Palm Springs of Washington this weekend (Yakima) and was thinking about poping up there. Any way to get ahold of you guys? If not I see you're from bellingham, we should meet sometime and go for a short trail run or something.

Well i started putting our pictures together, and noticed they arn't much wheelin pictures, mostly good camping trip pictures.

so those are here (a few... more as i get less lazy)

So the story of the trip from my keyboard

left work on-time after having the boss tell me to cut out early (the girlfriends last day at her job, needed to finish it)

after a drive of what seemed like forever we arrive at our Westside campsite. (along fs70), camp and have a good dinner of steak (payment to bryan and john for helping me out with my car) and hamburgers.

The next day longtrackrmk throws together some awesome hashbrown and we head of in search of the trail.

We eventually find the enterance to what I believe is called the lower naches, bryan makes it up without much problems, just alittle banging around the rocks. Then I give it a try all four spinning, looks like my newly welded rear diff is doing is thing like I wanted it to then pop smack and @#@*$&& I’m stuck in the water. Not able to see behind me (all the camping stuff I packed for me and the girlfriend), I back down as cautiously as I can trying to avoid the washout at the trail entrance from the road (it’s scary). Then everyone else gives it their best, with john making it up and longtrackrmk deciding to find the easy way in with me.

Longtrackrmk mentions my rear tires aren’t spinning out on the dirt road with the fronts… kinda concerned I carry on with our search.

When we do find the easy way in I’m noticing I can’t quite make it up the itty bitty hill that should’ve been a breaze, and have my girlfriend take a look at my tires, she says ‘nope’. Very pissed off right here.

After longtrack runs off to catch everyone and such, bryan and john head back down to ‘trouble shoot’ with me, longtrack stayed up the trail as he didn’t feel comfortable with doing the hill in again.

After we had decided it was my diff that went boom we decided I would take the highway around and meet up with the group on the other side. (my heart sunk so far…. So much planning down the drain )

While they were playing on the trail, me and my girlfriend were enjoying the views of Chinook pass (it’s really really pretty there)

When we finally met up on the other side, we set up camp and discussed our plans for the next day. With Longtrack's story of having 5 diffs that he picked up for $20 a pop, and Bryan being from there, we decided we would run into naches and Yakima looking for a junkyard with a diff for me. Longtrack decided that with the change in plans for Saturday he was going to head home. Through the afternoon Bryans kids show up to stay with us through the night.

Saturday comes and we come up with no luck for my diff replacement. While scavenging I get a phone call that my girlfriends sister had called talking about an emergency. After much phone tag we get ahold of her, and find out that morning their family home in walla walla and burned down. (if anyone around walla walla has a cheapish x-box or something that a 14 y/o might like, let me know… )

So 10 minutes later bryan drops off his kids (cutting his short visit shorter), skips out on seeing his model A at the vintiques show, and john misses out on old muscle cars. And we head back to camp to get my trip to walla walla underway.

In 20 minutes we get the diff cleaned out of the offending pieces ( of gears ), lube her up, put it in… pack a few things in and I’m off to walla walla, in a my broken (kinda) car, that I don’t like to drive 30 miles in, with a case of overheating problems sometimes, through the desert for a few hours. (if you can’t tell I was kinda worried)

We get there grab a hotel and as happy as can be with ac, running water, and a shower…

Meanwhile back at camp bryan and john went out exploring bethel ridge for some star gazing, and various other fun.

The next morning after making sure everybody is okay, we head back.

When we get back, we all make a run up bethel ridge for some great views a great light trail, and boulder tossing (That is so much fun) in Storm Trooper and El Kabong, then cross over to “Jump off point” for more perfect views ,light trail riding, and all kinds of redneck stupidity (I almost fell off the cliff). Share some UFO stories, get all freaked out… and eventually head back to camp and call it a good last night.

The next morning we headed back, nothing too significant… but I got home okay, the hatch did great for what seemed like 1000 miles of super hot highway driving, and not so great with <50 feet of trail… kinda the opposite of what I expect out of her, but she was there when I needed it.:headbang:

Great story Andy! Sorry about your subie breaking down on you. So this was a Subie/Isuzu trip, wasn't it? How many subies, and how many isuzus?? Talk to you soon,

Dylan

2 soobs (me and longtrack) one Isuzu, one bronco

the car breaking, i can live with that just fine...

one final plug (mods, if it's not liked go ahead and remove this... no hard feelings or anything):

anyone here out of walla walla with a cheap x-box? house burning down/no insurance, the girlfriend's brother isn't having the greatest of times right now, and i'd like to cheer him up some. Their basics are taken care of quite well, but a kid without his stuff...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
good that means your with us on the next week Oct 7th at walker see ya weds SJR:headbang:

I'll be in temple texas that weekend

the girlfriend wanted to take me somewhere for my birthday (the 4th)

then her sister (that just had a kid, and got married) wanted her to come see her.

now i'm stuck going to texas.

• 1 month later...