Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$12k to spend....what do you do??

Ok heres the thing, my g/f is looking for a new car.

-can't be a wagon

-has to be automatic

-has to be awd

She knows nothing about cars. Wants a newer very reliable car, since she has been plagued with chepo crapos.

So all this being said, it has to be a legacy or Impreza sedan.

I guess my main question should be when did the headgasket problem get resolved? When did the goop coolant thing start-stop? I am preety sure the phase I was until 2001, so when did the goop stop.

I wish she would get a 97ish obs.

the OBS isn't a wagon, it's a Hatchback... try to pull that one off ;)

It's a great car (especially the 97 ;) ), except those f-ing wheel bearings.. but all the imprezas of that age had the same problem.

Look on craigslist, there's always impreza coupes & legacy sedans going there.

If it means anything to you, i got my 97 OBS at a dealer, with 107k on her for ~7 grand. So you should have no problem with a later model new gen sedan :)

good luck!

For Legacys: the bad head gasket problem persisted through 01, I believe. The goop/not-so-bad head gasket problem was 01 and 02. I would lean towards an 03 or 04, and with $12k to work with...'03.

A GT is always nice, and an outback is too, depending on what your needs are. But the plain old Legacy sedan is a sweet ride, overshadowed by it's zooty stablemates. And as such, the market for them is relatively undervalued -- plenty of good deals to be had. Not much given up to the GT in those years (no more power -- just trim and tighter suspension, mostly; not like the 05's or late '90's GT's which have a different motor/turbo from the base model). So if you can live with that, and can live without the modest offroad advantage had by the SUS...a Legacy sedan has great bang for buck.

My advice would be an '03 legacy sedan (no gt or outback). Not having looked recently...careful shopping should net you a real nice car, minus most of the nagging suby headaces, in the 60-70k miles range, I'd think. Pretty casual mileage for any suby.

Good luck.

The '05s are doing well. You can check out http://www.legacygt.com in the "normally aspirated" section for the 2.5i. I believe the NA 2.5i continues with the 4EAT transmission while the GTs get a 5EAT. '05-'06 2.5i wagons and Outbacks are very common in Northern California.

There is a quirk in the Legacy's seating position between '94 - '04 where driver legroom seems constrained to me, but that isn't true with the '05.

Thanks for the info.

Legroom is no problem cause were both under 5'9". I have a 96 and love it.

The 05 idea is out the window unless we can find another w/ a sticker of $15k

Prolly shoot for a '03 so she doesn't have to worry about the goop thing.