Jump to content


Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse
 

Photo
- - - - -

Manual steering rack in an SVX or any later subie that came with PS


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 benebob

benebob

    Subaru Nut

  • Members
  • 736 posts
  • Lancaster, PA

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:20 PM

Having had an issue with my SVX PS and some pin holes at the dragon Hocrest and I are kinda liking the thought of putting a manual rack in our racer svx. Definately had more power with a belt just running the alternator. Has anybody tried to adapt a manual rack to a later subie? I'm guessing that the rack would be pretty similar up to the tie rods right?

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

    Moderator

  • Moderator
  • 12,604 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:52 PM

This question has been asked a tons on nasioc. I don't know the outcome or anyone has found one, but I'd suggest searching, and see what you come up with http://forums.nasioc.com/forums

Personally, I'd want some form of power steering...but that's me.

#3 benebob

benebob

    Subaru Nut

  • Members
  • 736 posts
  • Lancaster, PA

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

This question has been asked a tons on nasioc. I don't know the outcome or anyone has found one, but I'd suggest searching, and see what you come up with http://forums.nasioc.com/forums

Personally, I'd want some form of power steering...but that's me.


It isn't a street car by the least. As an autoxer now Yes PS is an advantage but when we go to climbing those hills (yes I know that's a foreign subject for you in Texas):banana: it won't be nearly as vital as the extra 5 hp. Gosh I hate the blabber mouths on nasioc! They have way too much stuck up their butts 99% of the time. The other 1% they actually can be helpful.:grin:

#4 SuBrat84

SuBrat84

    What's REALLY going on???

  • Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

I would definately be interested in this. Power steering is a waste of power. and fluid.. and weight.. maybe?

#5 benebob

benebob

    Subaru Nut

  • Members
  • 736 posts
  • Lancaster, PA

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:32 AM

I would definately be interested in this. Power steering is a waste of power. and fluid.. and weight.. maybe?


You probably wouldn't be interested in it for a street car. My road SVX is currently w/o ps as I popped a hose at the dragon. It is not the nicest thing to drive in the current condition. Race car yes. Street car with parralel parking. You're kidding right!:grin:

#6 SuBrat84

SuBrat84

    What's REALLY going on???

  • Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:12 PM

Well, the way I understand it.. a manual steering rack is a little easier to control than a power steering rack that has failed. My power steering is working on its way out. My SVX has 207k on it. I have always prefered manual steering over power anyway. To me it feels more precise. Sure power steering is nice and easy.. blah blah.. but if you know how to use it, manual steering is way better. Besides, I never have to parallel park in Tucson. When I get the RX going again.. I wanted to take out the Power Steering and AC, and some other weight reduction stuff.. gonna try to make it a rally racer.

#7 Legacy777

Legacy777

    Moderator

  • Moderator
  • 12,604 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

It isn't a street car by the least. As an autoxer now Yes PS is an advantage but when we go to climbing those hills (yes I know that's a foreign subject for you in Texas):banana: it won't be nearly as vital as the extra 5 hp. Gosh I hate the blabber mouths on nasioc! They have way too much stuck up their butts 99% of the time. The other 1% they actually can be helpful.:grin:


Grew up in the Seattle area & went to school in PA, so I might have been around a few hills :rolleyes:

Either way....the subject has been brought up on NASIOC. If you truly want a manual rack, find out what, if any is available for the impreza and use it on the SVX.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users