Ultimate Subaru Message Board

in my 96 2.2 with 196,000 miles....i get about 25.5 mpg driving around town doing delivery's...sometimes conservative and sometimes shifting at 4 to pass someone....or accelerating quickly to jump the tracks...

if u try u can very much so get like 27 city

in regards to rust....depends if the car was kept outside or not and if it drove through winter's rock salt....

if i was u i'd get it...try to get them lower but i think its worth it...as long as it was from a respectable original owner who has always changed the oil on time...its hard to find a low miles 2.2

in general you can get one cheaper than that. but that's an excellent motor, low miles and will last quite a long time and it has new timing belts. that's a good thing. if you're looking for a vehicle that will give you lots of trouble free miles ahead, this is probably it.

of course i'd talk them down.....

I've had my Outback sport (impreza 2.2L/5sp) for a few years now. My brother had it since new, and niether of us has ever had a major problem with it. Only minor things like 2 sensors going out (knock and speed) and and the garage falling on the front of it,(no real damage to it though) I loved my 86 gl-10 turbo but my Impreza drives a whole lot better. I'd talk the guy down a bit, I got mine for 2,500 with 100,000 miles on it, but I did buy it from a relitive.

that is a bit much....but if its coming from a dealer its going to be hard to talk them down...since they like to use the "subarus last forever" catch phrase

does sound a little high. here's the point, you have the internet, autotrader, cars and any number of web sites. talk to the owner, if it's a dealer bring the ad's of cars in your area and let the dealer know you have options of your own. you should be able to find a few cars in the year and milage to show them.

subaru's go for ever, alot of them are in good shape. take your time and your will get one you like and enjoy it for a long time. nothing wrong with a manual if you can drive it. better gas milage and more control in the weather. be well, D

• 2 years later...

I got my 97 outback sport a couple of months ago with 73k on it for 2700, there are some rust issues and had to fix the cat back exhaust but completely worth it. It took me close to six months to find a decent mileage and priced car, many p were looking for 5-7k for imprezas with 100k plus on them. So if you can talk them down its a good deal. Nothing talks better than cash in hand. Bring what you want to pay for it and if they dont like it hold out and one will come around.