Ultimate Subaru Message Board

adapter plate Ej-EA...

Uberoo

For a long time I thought I had a 1/2 steel plate in a lot my parents own.Turns out its 7/16".Would that pose any problems?If it does I won't be able to buy a 1/2 plate unless I want to spend like 100+ bucks.if thats the case I might as well just use a EA81 wagon with D/R that I found for cheap.

Note I have a brat with an EA81 so I wouldnt have to fab anything

that converts to 11.11 millimeters.

the exact depth of the adapter plate should be 12mm.

Most people have successfully used 1/2 plate which converts to 12.7 millimeters.

This of course means that your plate is kind of shallow. I don't know if that will be important. You might have clearance issues with the starter. I don't think that would interfere with the clutch.

anyone else???

that converts to 11.11 millimeters.

the exact depth of the adapter plate should be 12mm.

Most people have successfully used 1/2 plate which converts to 12.7 millimeters.

This of course means that your plate is kind of shallow. I don't know if that will be important. You might have clearance issues with the starter. I don't think that would interfere with the clutch.

anyone else???

could use 0.9mm spacer/washer to bring starter backout to its correct position in relation to the flywheel?

I think I will wait to do the swap when I have money.

Just getting all the engine bits I need for the swap will run me about 184 assuming pull and save has them.Then I need to get a 1/2" steel plate or 12MM plate whichever is easier/cheaper to get.that will be like 100.so 284.I can get an 82 ea81 station wagon with a perfect D/R for that.The motor runs nice too.Course the body and interior....

you ask for 12mm steel plate and the guy at the steel yard will look at you funny....1/2'' is fine, or use the 7/16'' stuff with a little spacer between starter and tranny. i know the older stuff is cheaper, but the EJ stuff is a helluva lot faster.....

~Josh~

1/2" is definitely going to be more common.

I will offer again here that I know good shops in Spokane for the necessary flywheel work. I know a place that can mill or drill the extra bolt pattern into the flywheels for $90, and a place to balance them for $30, and shipping is ~$17 round trip with US Postal Flat Rate.. this totals out to $137-$145 w/tax.. I would ask for a few $ as one shop is out of town and requires 2 extra half-hour drives to chase the flywheel out and back before work.

If you can't find a place near you to do this at a comparable price I am happy to help.