Ultimate Subaru Message Board

son's 89 justy

howdy, bought my kid an 89 justy as his first car. I was wondering if and where a body could find aftermarket parts for these little guys. have seen timing belts on ebay, but was also thinking of replacing the distributor and coil with a higher performance in order to try and regain that original 40+ mpg. thanks in advance for any input. jim and eric.

Hey,

Make sure the carb is in order. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor, plug wires, ignition timing. The basics first. Nothing wrong with oem coil and distributor.

Doug

howdy, bought my kid an 89 justy as his first car. I was wondering if and where a body could find aftermarket parts for these little guys. have seen timing belts on ebay, but was also thinking of replacing the distributor and coil with a higher performance in order to try and regain that original 40+ mpg. thanks in advance for any input. jim and eric.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a hint, if you need a carb you better have a fat wallet. I was looking for one for my 87 Justy and they found a new one at the dealer for only $630:slobber: , needless to say I just about fainted then went and found one at a wrecking yard and they really jambed me, $25 and they pulled it FANTABULOUS.:burnout:

Good luck and have fun.:banana:

Mudrat357

the carb is most important for good mileage, get a new 02 sensor (its a computer controlled carb) and make sure the carb is clean. Check that all the vacuum lines are in order IE no leaks or plugged lines.

The ignition system is electronic and works great, just set the advance as far as you can go before it pings under load. Use standard NGK plugs.

My justy seemed to get around 35-37mpg with the stock carb but its a 4wd and I don't exactly drive like an old lady. The problem is that even with the foot to the floor minivans pull away from me at the lights.